MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of curiousy, has anyone seen these cars? Ive seen two so far, they are a commen citroen C3 model but the bumpers are black and slighty thicker from what I saw, and it is slighty raised I think, that kind of reminded me or a car that Rover happen to make. :wtf:

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I made the same conclusion, my mates just told me shut up, I was like RIP OFF lol ( someones goin to say streetwise is a rip off of something else now ) yeah it was uncanny the resemblance, funny how rover make such crap cars that are 10 years old in design but other companies seem to like the ideas ( coughs )

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I like streetwise best, lol I was stuck between MGzr OR streetwise, I think I finally settled on ZR but If i compared polo OR C3 to an MGZR I wouldnt need time to decide. Says it all really

·
Registered
22 Posts
According to the Civil Service Motoring Magazine, of about ten months ago (unable to find due to having recycled it), the C3 xtr was produced after the Streetwise was displayed in Paris, and the French car bosses thought the design was chique, and cheeky.

So no Streetwise, no c3 xtr - Streetwise a Rover trendsetter.

Rusty

PS Shame Rover have dropped the yellow version - except in Russia!!!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
I can see the headlines in the Guardian already.

"MG-Rover copy C3 in last ditch attempt to survive".

Seriously, I agree with no1knows, why is it that Rover are so crap seeing as everyone else copies their design principles.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everywhere I look in the motorworld I see things that look "stolen"

I dunno what car company it is (forgot), but the cars on the football pitch, mmmmm I wonder where that come from. :eyes:

And the new A - Class advert, "Space to Think", which reminded me of the Rover moto, "Your Space"

The New Jag X type looks like the new 45/ZR, and the current X - Type looks to the interior of the 75, well need I say more.

So yeah Rover must suck.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
You know what they say 'The original is the best' and I have to agree the SW is better then the others. Or is that because I own one.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Rusty_aixam_dri said:
PS Shame Rover have dropped the yellow version - except in Russia!!!
Funny you should say that. I saw a bright yellow Streetwise on my travels today. Looked very... Bright... :err:

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
SFulcher said:
I can see the headlines in the Guardian already.

"MG-Rover copy C3 in last ditch attempt to survive".

Seriously, I agree with no1knows, why is it that Rover are so crap seeing as everyone else copies their design principles.
Sadly not true. The idea of a niche for cars that looked like 4x4s but weren't was found by Ford with the Fusion. For whatever reason they never went the whole hog with the 'cladding' and the car has been a total stiff. Suzuki also offer a fusion type car the Ignis (recently gone 4x4).

Because MGR had no money for a rebodied car they had to use the cladding approach and the same idea dawned on VW and Citroen at about the same time: all three were launched with a few months of each other. It's ironic that a car aimed at younger drivers seems to be mostly driven by older drivers because of the high ground clearance.

Sales were pretty good at one point for the SW but seem to have tailed off. It looks like a niche which I doubt many others will bother following.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
when i first saw them a few years ago I was really surprised to see it was a rover, I really thought rover had made a comeback with it, it did looks classy. I was seriously considerin buyin a second hand one with like 6k on the clock for bout 6k pounds, they re really well priced, but the zr just has the edge on it mainly due to it being able to steer round corners fast :p

Though yet again you get the feelin that if rover actually had a big time advertisin campaign ( if only they had the money ) the car brand would stand a chance, speak for themselves for once instead of the media doin it for them ?

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Still, many people are critising it for its lack of 4WD, and its cheap looks. Yes it outsold the XTR and the Polo Dune, but they were hardly worthy competitors.

The car it should be worried about is the Panda 4x4...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Isn't it strange how the press praised the 'classiness' of the Polo Dune and lauded it all over the C3 XTR and torched the SW, yet i have only ever seen SW's on the road. I have never seen a Polo DUne or a C3 XTR.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
In all fairness, the SW was launched at a time when MG-R was trying to squeese as many of the costs out of their cars as possible. Thus meaning, the SW suffered from that horribly cheap interior common with most of the 2003 models.

One critism already.

The Interior of the SW just looks vile without that Plastic Strip going accross the top right of the Facia... Plus the fact that both of those are car as supposedly "newer" cars and therefore gain immediate praise from snobby Journo's.

But how the hell they could call that ruddy Polo stylish I do not know. The interior is actually blander than the model's it replaced... Vile. :sick:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Faux 4wd

My sis used to have a Talbot Rancho - a sort of pretend 4wd years before it was fashionable, actually a very practicle useful car. Wasn't partcularly reliable but was was back at the end of the 70s/early 80s?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts