MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, right got a 98 211i and the cigar lighter button seems to be in and wont come out for me to plug a tomtom into it, any ideas on how to release it, inside boutton is about 1/2 an inch further in than the outer ring, cheers

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Sounds like its stuck on, I wouldnt turn the ignition on until you have managed to remove it as it might actually be heating up. Only way to remove it is to pull it, so try some sort of grips to pull it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lol, I've got exactly the same problem, ciggy lighter button pushed in and its stuck. As far as I know it aint on, never smelt anything. I managed to get it out once, it depends if you like being forceful or not. ;)

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
lemmings999 said:
if i could remove it then it would stay out but i dont seem to be able to grip it properly
Like i said, try some sort of grips, it doesnt matter if you damage it as you say you wont be using it again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does the whole ring unit come out then or just the button as if its the button i can't get anything in to grip it but if its the whole ring then i may be able to pull it out, i have to be able to use the socket to power things though

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Its more of a ciggy lighter than a cigar lighter, or are people trying to seem like the classy sort of gent taht smokes cigars in his Rover?

·
Mmmm....Rover..
10,426 Posts
If you don't mind destroying it, drill a hole in the center button and fit a self tapping screw. Use it to pul the button out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not a bad idea but it still doesnt answer the question , is it just the button that comes out or the whole ring unit as well or does the ring unit unscrew or is it a permanent fixture

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
lemmings999 said:
not a bad idea but it still doesnt answer the question , is it just the button that comes out or the whole ring unit as well or does the ring unit unscrew or is it a permanent fixture
The whole black plastic section is the part which you remove. The only part that should be left is the steel section in the centre.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts