MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chrysler US sales improve as others plummet

CHRYSLER was left isolated in the US market in April - the only one of the big car-makers to record higher sales.

Chrysler sales jumped 2% in the month putting it adrift of the others.

Ford sales plummeted by 18% and M followed with a drop of 9.8%. Toyota was down by 4.3%, Honda was down 9.1% and Nissan dropped 18%.

The were two less selling days in the month as overall, the US market was down from 16.7m unit's a year earlier to 16.3m units.
SOURCE: Autowired

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
One might say Chrysler had no where to go but up, but I'm not quite that cynical.

They do still have one of the better lineups of light trucks and large cars, and even some of their more questionable styling exercises seem to be winning more buyers of late. I noticed Car and Driver was suprisingly positive about the Sebring (aside from its OAP ride and accelleration)- amazingly, their editors actually seemed to like its styling.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I agree with some of what you say Bob, but the missing component here is the genuinely huge rebates the Chrysler Group has placed on so many of their vehicles. Yes, GM and Ford have their fair share of large rebates to, but nothing like the scale in which Chrysler has implemented them. For example, at the moment decently equipped Dodge Ram pickups can be had for a bit more than 12,000 U.S.. Granted, Ford will sell you a new F-150 for similar money, but that F-150 will have no options which means you will be lacking a radio, air conditioning, and an automatic transmission. For the same amount of money the Dodge Ram will give you air conditioning, an auto transmission, a CD player, a wheel upgrade.......you get the picture. That represents a genuinely huge rebate which probably isn't even leaving Dodge at the break even point.

Unfortunately the same applies to most of the rest of the Chrysler Group's vehicles right now as well. And no matter how we look at it this cannot be seen as a good thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts