MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to get some new alloys for the mg and thought that a set of 17" chromes would look smart so went down to halfords to see what they had and they only had 1 set on display which were ok so i asked the bloke in there about em and he said that there ok for the summer but in the winter the chrome can peal off due to the roads being salted so just wondered if this is true or not as i dont wanna pay loads of money to see em get ruined during the winter.

If so is there an alloy you can get that is shiny but not chrome and doesnt get affected in the winter.

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
It's true, as far as I know all chrome wheels suffer from this.
Your best bet is use them as a "summer wheel" and have a different set of "winter wheels"

·
Registered
mg_zr
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dammit not what i wanted to hear suppose just have to find a shiny alloy cant be arsed with 2 sets of alloys although would be good 1 for winter 1 for summer

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
Have you thought about metal polishing?
Very similar effect to chrome, but not as shiny.
Cost a little too.
A proffessional job can be well worth it though.

·
Registered
mg_zr
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah my cousin said about that apparently there is a place near where i live cant remember where but they do it. Might have to pay em a visit see what they say but do you know if you can use any alloy or does it have to be a certain one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts