MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post race quote as part of this BBC F1 Forum interview .

Will Red Bull be Mercedes or even Honda powered next season ?... all very interesting.

Majority opinion on the various F1 discussion sites I visit believes this past F1 season has been the most boring for ages.

I have never been bored by any race or F1 season since the days of Fangio and Moss. Mind you, overall this 2015 season has not been one of the better ones by a long chalk. Each year has always contained something of interest to me as the technology of the cars and the way they perform has always been my prime interest. The cars have always been interesting. Drivers less so.

Could it be the over-hyped media slant incessantly concentrating on some of the drivers and their hangers on and out of the car spats has turned folks away? I feel that has played a part.

Come whatever in season 2016, I'm looking forward to it already. Many others less so and some previously "must see" F1 regulars will not be watching even the highlights come next season. Not me.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Why would Merc give them a engine? They have already said no and bearing in mind they are still miles ahead from anyone else in power-train terms does it make any sense when there 99% guaranteed to win a 3rd drivers and manufacturers title..... Even Fiat (sorry Ferrari) said they would only supply this years engine and not the 2016 one. F1 hasn't been any more boring than any other year really doesn't matter what era to pick there has always been someone who is always on top...... There normally German so make the most of it :)

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I didn't think the F1 was that bad this season.

Sure it was Merc all the way for number one, but the rest of the grid were far closer together than I think I've ever seen.

I don't know though why Red bull would want the Honda though, its not any better than the Renault unit is it?

I can't imagine any engine supplier that'd willingly supply red bull given their behavior towards Renault, even if they weren't a direct competitor.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I didn't think the F1 was that bad this season.

Sure it was Merc all the way for number one, but the rest of the grid were far closer together than I think I've ever seen.

I don't know though why Red bull would want the Honda though, its not any better than the Renault unit is it?

I can't imagine any engine supplier that'd willingly supply red bull given their behavior towards Renault, even if they weren't a direct competitor.
Once Lewis had rapped the title up it was very dull, Rosberg stopped making mistakes and Lewis was too busy partying. There needs to be a strong competitor to Merc next year, I hope Ferrari will be top gear and the arrival of Haas should be interesting, we also need the Honda engine to improve big time, especially if its going to RB as well.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,885 Posts
I do wonder if RB are to have the Honda engine next year it may be a different version to the one fitted to the McLaren, call it say a Mugan? Honda has done this before in the past.

It’s been said that much of the problems Honda have suffered this year are in the most part due to McLaren’s packaging requirements, if RB have no such requirements and allow Honda to build the engine in the way Honda wish to build it then it could be a quite different unit to the one in the McLaren’s.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Red Bull are getting Renault engines with development by Ilmor and branded TAG Heuer.
I guess the latter is the reason Christian said Ron wouldn't be happy, because TAG Heuer was a McLaren sponsor for 31 years.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Red Bull are getting Renault engines with development by Ilmor and branded TAG Heuer.
I guess the latter is the reason Christian said Ron wouldn't be happy, because TAG Heuer was a McLaren sponsor for 31 years.
Looks like ron ****ed off Tag and they've left to sponsor Red bull.

Given the people that own tag own Mclaren, Ron should be very afraid

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
Or maybe not as the company split some time ago and the bit of Tag that has moved on have nothing to do with the part that own part of Mclaren.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Or maybe not as the company split some time ago and the bit of Tag that has moved on have nothing to do with the part that own part of Mclaren.
Really?

I'm sure they said that even though the company is split, the owners are the same?

·
Administrator
54,941 Posts
Very tentative links, but not with major shareholdings in both. Its not really Tag who own a stake in Mclaren, or as big a deal as some have made out really. Mansour Ojjeh owns 25% of Mclaren Automotive Group and is the Tag CEO not owner as he sold it to LVMH a while ago, its his personal investment, not LVMH that owns that stake. An investment as a result of his selling Tag.

Other than the loss of money of course, its not harmful to the company. But equally another brand of LVMH in Chandon is a new sponsor for Mclaren, so they haven't pulled out altogether either.

The lure for Tag was the front lining of the name as part of the team in the engine supply part. Not something that Mclaren could offer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts