MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
rover_75
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering whether the intention is for MGR to go into receivership and for SAIC to buy the assets at a discount of course. Would be a smart move as they would not have any responsiblity for any MGR liabilities including the 400 M loan from BMW. They would get all the designs, machinery, work force, engineers etc.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
They may well do, as a business move it wouldn't be entirely stupid. Even if this isn't the case i'm sure from what they 'learned' from the press and reports flying around that they realised they could perhaps get hold of the whole thing for very little money if they allowed MGR to go bust.
It does seem somewhat strange that they were willing to go ahead with the deal if the loan lasted 2 years not 6months.That sounds like an excuse to get out of the deal to me.

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
Tim75 said:
I am just wondering whether the intention is for MGR to go into receivership and for SAIC to buy the assets at a discount of course. Would be a smart move as they would not have any responsiblity for any MGR liabilities including the 400 M loan from BMW. They would get all the designs, machinery, work force, engineers etc.

To the rescue, are you kidding?? When the going go rough they (SAIC) turned tail and Ran!

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Have they? Or is this just another negotiation tactic?

You don't spend the best part of a year negotiating with a company and drop everything right at the last minute, do you?

·
Registered
rover_800
3,497 Posts
boxwellm said:

You don't spend the best part of a year negotiating with a company and drop everything right at the last minute, do you?

Well if their plan was to ransack a company that they helped bring down with their protracted negotiations, the British public should see them in hell first.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
SAIC allegedly own powertrain and various other bits. Perhaps they are now planning to work directly with the administrators and run the company direcrtly from Shanghai. Have they actually said that they no longer have ANY interest in MGR?

·
Registered
rover_75
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quite right, BOXWELLM. What about the millions that they already allegedly put into MGR - are they just going to kiss that goodbye. They have had a large number of their own people at Longbridge for a long time, which will have cost a mint, and gave them a very good look at what they were buying into. MGR had their backs to the wall and had zero negotiating power - any business entrepreneur, irrespective of origin, would do this. Who else is going to be interested - I can't think of anyone otherwise MGR would have been talking to them. It may be a long shot, but just maybe............

·
Registered
rover_75
460 Posts
Stephen K. Hone said:
Well if their plan was to ransack a company that they helped bring down with their protracted negotiations, the British public should see them in hell first.

If only! Look at the number of BMWs that are sold here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
boxwellm said:

isn't it just called talks breaking down?

i mean if negotiations are unsuccessful then they have to end at sometime.

your statement reminded me of the saying, "when i lose something, why do I always find it in the last placed I looked".

;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
If this is the case, I just hope they aren't going to want to buy up the bits they still want and ship it lock stock and barrel to China, and stick 2 fingers up to Longbridge and the workforce:sad3:

·
Registered
rover_75
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To Stehen K. Hone. If a Chinese MGR lost the English market, it would be no big deal. This is too close to the election announcement. If you don't buy this tyheory, try a cavalry charge by Col. Blair Custer by negotiating with SAIC to come back to the table with some Government sweetener. (I know what happened to Custer but the Tories would honour the deal)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I think the idea that this is a negotiating tactic is a pipe dream.

Maybe the Chinese did find something awful in MGRs books? Time will tell.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I'd rather MG-Rover die outright than to let those ******** have the Company for a bargain price, they have made their bed and now the can lie in it. They shold be denied access to the brand.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
MGROVERnut said:
SAIC allegedly own powertrain and various other bits. Perhaps they are now planning to work directly with the administrators and run the company direcrtly from Shanghai. Have they actually said that they no longer have ANY interest in MGR?
Complete crap, SAIC do NOT own anything. They *may* have the rights to produce the K series in China, but that does not mean they OWN Powertrain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts