MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charles Hurst Coleraine is to close down. Apparently the Belfast MGR sites are on a 2 year probation by Lookers , or is this Lookers pulling out of MGR as mentioned elsewhere.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Damn, is that the one with the LR dealer as well?

I thought they were a briiliant and loyal dealer service, this is getting quite scary really. Why aren't Phoenix taking this into ownership?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
jcn27 said:
Charles Hurst Coleraine is to close down. Apparently the Belfast MGR sites are on a 2 year probation by Lookers , or is this Lookers pulling out of MGR as mentioned elsewhere.
Hopefully someone other than CH will take on MGR here. CH have dealerships for most car marques over here and don't have a great reputation. The branch I dealt with were good but as far as they go for other car brands :ts: Don't want to libel myself.

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
I heard a whisper that somebody else may be taking on an additional MGR franchise in Northern Ireland. Don't know who and don't know where... though if Coleraine is closing that would begin to make sense.

By my reckoning, that leaves 7 MGR dealers here now:

Charles Hurst (Lookers) Boucher Road, Belfast
Charles Hurst (Lookers) Dundonald, Co. Down
Howard Abraham (Independent Multi Franchise) Lurgan, Co. Armagh
Wilsons of Rathkenny (Independent Multi Franchise) Ballymena, Co. Antrim
TP Topping (Independent Multi Franchise) Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh
Donnelly & Taggart (Independent Multi Franchise) Londonderry
Donnelly Brothers (Independent Multi Franchise) Dungannon, Co. Tyrone

But it also leaves giant swathes of Northern Ireland without a local MG Rover dealer. Only seems like yesterday since there were dozens here :(

Regards

John

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Lookers announced several weeks ago that they were closing their MG Rover dealerships. They have given MG Rover 2 years notice of their intention to quit, as per their contractual obligations.

G

·
MGR need to get local ex-retail dealers back on line - If I were MGR I would be ringing each and everyone to see if they wanted a franchise back. They could easily get another 200 rural/small town dealers back in the fold

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
LOOKERS: Record profit and up-beat call for 2005
LOOKERS cheered investors this morning, announcing another record year up to December 2004.

With 4-months of activity from its acquisition in FPS Distribution - which it acquired last August - the Manchester Group saw turnover rise 14% to £1,094m (2003: £961m).

Operating profit was up 61% to £27.5m (2003: £17.1m) and profit before tax, goodwill amortisation and exceptional items increased 17% to £15.3m (2003: £13.1m).

Chief executive, Ken Surgenor, was also in up-beat mood for the rest of this year. "The number of new cars delivered in the first weeks of the crucial month of March has been more encouraging," he said.

"Several new models are coming on stream this year from the manufacturers we represent. Overall, the Group is in excellent shape. Our commitment to improving the quality of our franchise portfolio and earnings through selective and strategic acquisitions, coupled with a strengthened position in the aftersales market and an increased used car presence, gives us confidence that the Group will continue to make further progress in 2005," he added.

The increased used car presence, to which he referred, was the acquisition in January of Bristol Trade Centre.

Given the Group's continued strong performance, the Board is recommending a final dividend of 8.1 pence, bringing the total dividend for the year to 12.1 pence, representing a strong financial return for shareholders.

* Lookers' decision to quit the MG Rover franchise in 2-years has resulted in an exceptional charge of £2.8m in the year under review.During 2004 the Group's four MG Rover dealerships together lost £0.7m at operating profit level

Source: Autowired.

G

·
The fall in dealers is getting worrying. MGR stated that dealer numbers will rise this year - not happening. Down 10 so far with 1 new one coming on board

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
e668ecp said:
The fall in dealers is getting worrying. MGR stated that dealer numbers will rise this year - not happening. Down 10 so far with 1 new one coming on board
Realistically nobody is going to come on board until the SAIC deal is out in the open and there is a clear future. At the moment it looks a worse bet than taking on a Kia dealership but these things can change very quickly.

G

·
Kia dealer in Bradford is getting a new showroom right opposite the former Appleyard Rover Bradford site (now Ford). Dixon Rover bradford is the old Honda showroom complete with stuck on printed MG/Rover logos over the old Honda stuff

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
e668ecp said:
There have been more than one new dealer on board this year.

MG Rover Southend opened in January 2005, and there have been others opening.

G

·
I beg your pardon - two new dealers. One replacing Wrights in Sleaford and a new on in Southend.

The Caffyns in Tunbridge doesn't count as they only closed there last year and they have closed the Tonbridge one. Phoenix taking over Oxford doesn't count either.

No other new dealers as far as I am aware... I won't mention the closures

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
e668ecp said:
I beg your pardon - two new dealers. One replacing Wrights in Sleaford and a new on in Southend.

The Caffyns in Tunbridge doesn't count as they only closed there last year and they have closed the Tonbridge one. Phoenix taking over Oxford doesn't count either.

No other new dealers as far as I am aware... I won't mention the closures
Still 100% better than the position you painted :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.