MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all on my bubble i wanted to know how to change the tyres in case of a flat anyways noticed these little plastic covers over the bolts looked in car book and says i got a plastic thingy in boot to put over the plastic covers and move side to side to get them off anyways i tried that and one of the arms on plastic thing snapped off how am i suppose to get the plastic things off cheers for all help given scott

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
dont know if youres are the same, on my bubble there are 3 normal alloy wheel nuts, and the fourth is covered by a metal cover with the locking nut under it. The metal cover comes off with youre fingers and a bit of pulling. Either that or keep some old pliers in the car or something similar to prise it off.

·
Registered
rover_75
432 Posts
The dealer should be able to supply you with one. On mid-90s cars, each key pattern had a letter, which they use to get you a new key. Not sure if the letter is on the nuts - I know mine's definitely stamped on the key, which isn't much use to you if yours is missing...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
dont know if youres are the same, on my bubble there are 3 normal alloy wheel nuts, and the fourth is covered by a metal cover with the locking nut under it. The metal cover comes off with youre fingers and a bit of pulling. Either that or keep some old pliers in the car or something similar to prise it off.
Waaaaaaay easier than that! The little black tube the locking nut key is held in has a split end.. Just push that onto the cover on the lock nut and pull it off.. The cover comes off with it!

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
projectgaz said:
Waaaaaaay easier than that! The little black tube the locking nut key is held in has a split end.. Just push that onto the cover on the lock nut and pull it off.. The cover comes off with it!
that plastic thing doesnt do a thing on mine, doesnt grip it tight enough. need a pair of pliers at least.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
right guys i tried the stupid black plastic thing but no luck tried pliers but no grip on the metal thingys so i got a screwdriver and a hammer and smashed the things in half making them come off so none on car now what i am now wondering is can i get and other types of nuts to put on as they look rubbish to look at without the rubbish caps cheers for all help scott.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Clean off the locking nut debris with some fine wire wool and smear a bead off cooper grease on the nuts. I agree the standard tude type removal tool is pants , but touch wood still working on our cars. The lock nut chrome caps are availabe separately from your local dealer. If you need a new locking nut key the number is stamped on the end of the nut which again your dealer can cross referance for the correct key.

hth
Lates

G

·
If you need a new set of locking wheel nuts then try Trilock 2 from Carflow total car security. The kit comes with 4 locking wheel nuts, 4 chrome caps, unlock key and a plastic key for the caps. I had these on my previous 214 (pre-bubble) and it costs between £20-£30 from any good motor accessories stockists.

Happy Motoring :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
scottstead said:
right guys i tried the stupid black plastic thing but no luck tried pliers but no grip on the metal thingys so i got a screwdriver and a hammer and smashed the things in half making them come off so none on car now what i am now wondering is can i get and other types of nuts to put on as they look rubbish to look at without the rubbish caps cheers for all help scott.
HAHA, You sound like me! If u can't get somethin to work, break with with a hammer! Erm, no suggestions there tho, my tube thing works just fine

1 - 11 of 11 Posts