MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right just had my hydro gas pumped up due to it being very low and now my car looks like a 4x4 and the body roll is terrible

i want it back like a go kart

can anyone give me a rough price on suspension kits for a mgf or swaping the tf suspension to an mgf is it as simple as new dampers and springs and what is done to the hydro system thanks dan

·
Registered
mgf
250 Posts
You could just buy some lowering knuckles (trophy -20mm) and have them fitted, as far as I know nothing else needs doing to the suspension with these although some better shocks would help, somebody correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
You could swop your hydrogas for TF springs etc, if you have a VERY large wallet.

As Kev says go with the lowering knuckles, easier option.

What was/is the measure on your ride height?, should be 368mm +/- 10mm.(taken at front wheel, 400psi pressure)

just had mine re-done, but only taken it to 350mm, would like it lowered but due to amount of speed humps decided against.

HTH

·
Registered
mgf
150 Posts
fecae2000 said:
i want it back like a go kart
Then there is only one answer :)

Techspeed suspension kit. This consists of lowering, Bilstein dampers, and tracking - all to Techspeed's unique settings/specifications. Techspeed developed this suspension kit from their experience in producing the MGF Cup Car for racing. They used this experience to develop a road-going package.

Many F owners have taken advantage of this route, myself included. I've never heard anything other than praise for the result. It's like driving a different car. Mine is used in anger on track days.

Call Marvin (Techspeed's owner) on 01926 632066 and chat to him about it. Rough cost, last I heard, was about £600. May be a bit more than that now, but certainly less than £800 unless you add on the optional 4-nipple job! This is separation of the hydragas units so that each corner can be setup individually.

HTH

Dave
http://www.mgs-on-track.com

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
how about something like spax or g-shock suspension set ups and why would the tf suspension cost so much ????

cmon people someone must have done this i mean the ride hight on the mgf is terrible standard how easy would it be to fit another suspension system like the one from the TF???

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
F has double wishbone suspension all round and the primary suspension is Hydragas, meaning that the body of the car is designed to take load at the mounting points for the Hydragas system.

TF has double wishbone suspension on the front, and semi-trailing arms on the rear (for packaging reasons mainly). The TF is sprung from shocks and springs, these are a different sizes to the Hydragas system, meaning that the mounting points are in different places and that the TF bodyshell is designed to take loads from the suspension in different places.

To convert from one to the other would require:

New TF subframes (and semi-trailing arm componentry on the rear one). Fitting of these requires the engine to be dropped out of the car and transferred to the new TF rear subframe. Whilst the engine is out, the body shell of the car needs to be strengthened and reinforced in the new positions ready to take the new shocks and springs - basically, more strip down work and then welding of plates / bracing etc. Finally you can fit both new subframes (including engine / gearbox etc) to the car and refit all the other componentry that needed to be removed for the welding work (MEMS, engine loom, horns, underbonnet fuseboard etc etc).

Now you can test it and make alterations to suit - as far as i am aware, due tot he complexity of the above process this has never been done (outside of MGR at any rate) and so the testing process will be lengthy to get it spot on.

Anything is possible, given enough money. I know Mike Satur has looked at this, but you are looking multiple four figures i reckon.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Got Spax adjustables on Scarlet too - good for the first year or so, then the adjustment screw rusts up and you can no longer adjust them.

Went to LEDA springs last week, and am in talks with them about replacements (made to order) as well as some rear shock mount stiffening plates. F rear shock mounts can rip apart even with the standard shocks, let alone stiffer ones.

:scary:

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Yes, i am trying to source some more locally to me and also somewhere to fit them - there are a number of the Essex Roadsters who are interested, but won't travel 200 miles to get it done.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but doesnt mike diliver??? :S

well thats me sorted then april 20th comes around new suspension set up and ill buy those plates + i know a really good mechanics in swansea who will do it :D brilliant go kart again baby :D lol

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well iv'e just ordered them couldnt afford the plates at the mo should be ok for about 6 months anyway till i can save up for them :D

cost all together was £260 for spax Adjustable uprated shocks and £178 for lowering knuckles plus £11.78 for dilivery lol should be here next week then will have the fitted on the 20th when mr bonus comes in lol yay my car will be a go kart once more :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts