MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Is there a proper way to get all of the engine oil out? when I remove the oil filter oil seems to comes out every little, (1/2 Litre) and when checking the dipstick it still near to full. Is there way to get all the oil out or am doing something wrong? I own a rover 200 vi (98).

thanks all

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
evian said:
thank you for replying, the sump screw/plug you mentioned at the front bottom of the oil tank seems to be very hard to take out! is there a way to take out easier?
thanks again
Use a long socket wrench or breaker bar.
When you put the sump bolt back in use a new washer.
when you put the oil filter back on smear a thin coating of new oil onto the rubber seal and tighten so it's tight by hand and no more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought id make sure you know when putting a new washer on the sump plug make sure its a proper sump plug washer. Theyre normally made of copper or sometimes aluminium. They are designed to crush down slightly to give an oil-tight seal and prevents it leaking.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm gonna put my car in for an MOT soon and thought that oil could do with an change. How much would be the expected cost for a garage to change the oil and the filter? and possibly the fuel filter... (i have a new oil filter in the boot.. bought with good intentions to fit myself.. but never got round to doing it what with all the other bits and pieces i have had to do on the car so far)

Oh and i have a S reg 214i if it makes a difference.. been a while since the last service...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I like doing my own oil changes as i know that the correct grade of oil and quality has gone into the car (10w/40 for the K series engine)

you can do an oil change yourself - and the tools wont cost you anymore than what the garage will charge you to do it once.

This is a real saving in multi car households

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
snellgrc said:
you can do an oil change yourself - and the tools wont cost you anymore than what the garage will charge you to do it once.

This is a real saving in multi car households

presuming that nothing goes wrong, its not been unheard of for a sump plug to die (i.e strip).

although very uncommon, sometimes oil filters can be absloute pigs to get off, admitedly this is not a problem if someone who knew what they were doing last changed the filter.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
if the oil filter is on solid - or the sump nut is tricky to remove the car should be going into the garage for a full service as it obviously hasnt had one in a while.

I have seen many a mangled sump nut for two reasons -

1 - it should be replaced on a regular basis but never is
2 - people use cheap/old/wrong size sockets on them and round them off

last time i bought a sump nut from rover it cost me around £4 - hardly going to break the bank - but can save alot of hassle next time around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.