MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Is there a proper way to get all of the engine oil out? when I remove the oil filter oil seems to comes out every little, (1/2 Litre) and when checking the dipstick it still near to full. Is there way to get all the oil out or am doing something wrong? I own a rover 200 vi (98).

thanks all

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
You'll have to undo the sump plug aswell. It's a bolt of the front the sump, at the bottom. Make sure you've got a suitable catching device as it can jet out a bit when you first take the plug out. Can get messy.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
I'm sure you already know this but do avoid getting the oil on your skin. Used engine oil is v nasty. Use gloves or something.

hth

Mike

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for replying, the sump screw/plug you mentioned at the front bottom of the oil tank seems to be very hard to take out! is there a way to take out easier?
thanks again

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
evian said:
thank you for replying, the sump screw/plug you mentioned at the front bottom of the oil tank seems to be very hard to take out! is there a way to take out easier?
thanks again
Use a long socket wrench or breaker bar.
When you put the sump bolt back in use a new washer.
when you put the oil filter back on smear a thin coating of new oil onto the rubber seal and tighten so it's tight by hand and no more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for helping everyone, I thought it straight forward with the changing oil, but :) anyway, thank you all have a good w/e :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought id make sure you know when putting a new washer on the sump plug make sure its a proper sump plug washer. Theyre normally made of copper or sometimes aluminium. They are designed to crush down slightly to give an oil-tight seal and prevents it leaking.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm gonna put my car in for an MOT soon and thought that oil could do with an change. How much would be the expected cost for a garage to change the oil and the filter? and possibly the fuel filter... (i have a new oil filter in the boot.. bought with good intentions to fit myself.. but never got round to doing it what with all the other bits and pieces i have had to do on the car so far)

Oh and i have a S reg 214i if it makes a difference.. been a while since the last service...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I like doing my own oil changes as i know that the correct grade of oil and quality has gone into the car (10w/40 for the K series engine)

you can do an oil change yourself - and the tools wont cost you anymore than what the garage will charge you to do it once.

This is a real saving in multi car households

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
snellgrc said:
you can do an oil change yourself - and the tools wont cost you anymore than what the garage will charge you to do it once.

This is a real saving in multi car households

presuming that nothing goes wrong, its not been unheard of for a sump plug to die (i.e strip).

although very uncommon, sometimes oil filters can be absloute pigs to get off, admitedly this is not a problem if someone who knew what they were doing last changed the filter.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
If you know so little about changing oil, you shouldnt have attempted it in the first place. Why people dont read or learn how to do something before attempting it themselves i dont know.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
if the oil filter is on solid - or the sump nut is tricky to remove the car should be going into the garage for a full service as it obviously hasnt had one in a while.

I have seen many a mangled sump nut for two reasons -

1 - it should be replaced on a regular basis but never is
2 - people use cheap/old/wrong size sockets on them and round them off

last time i bought a sump nut from rover it cost me around £4 - hardly going to break the bank - but can save alot of hassle next time around.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think i should also had that no one should attempt to do anything on a car without at least a haynes manual unless they are very experienced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts