MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, im just wondering how difficult it is to change the hood on my mgf, some scumbag slashed it trying to break into it!

Ive seen 1 or 2 hoods going on ebay 150 - 400 so they aint too bad to get a hold of but rather than spend even more money was wondering if I couldfit it myself.

Im not that tech or mechanical but i did manage to fit the rear bumper grill using spikes guide.

Any help appreciated.

oh an if anyone knows of a mk1 hood going give me a shout

cheers
chilly

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
chilly said:
hi guys, im just wondering how difficult it is to change the hood on my mgf, some scumbag slashed it trying to break into it!

Ive seen 1 or 2 hoods going on ebay 150 - 400 so they aint too bad to get a hold of but rather than spend even more money was wondering if I couldfit it myself.

Im not that tech or mechanical but i did manage to fit the rear bumper grill using spikes guide.

Any help appreciated.

oh an if anyone knows of a mk1 hood going give me a shout

cheers
chilly
Fit a MK2 hood instead mate, tis a straight swap and they are much better.

To replace the hood, remove the T-Bar (unclip the back of the hood, then undo the 3 philips screws)

Then undo the 4 bolts that hold on the hood frame.

In true haynes fashion, reassembly is the reverse procedure of removal.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
If you can get a whole hood, frame and all, as CJ said, it's the easiest. You just need 2 people (for the lifting on and off) and about half an hour to change it.

However you may be able to get a new material part of the hood cheaper than an entire frame, and Iain's site is very good in showing you how to remove the old material.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Next weekend, weather permitting... and if I can get the horses feet in time (glue) I will be attaching the old 04 hood onto an F frame. Should be a laugh..... If possible that is...

Iain

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Why not just go through insurance and get a spanking new one with glass, fitted, etc. Obviously depends on No-claims situation, excess, etc

Lee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies, so the mk2 hood will fit straight on a mk1 car?
do you mean the whole hood will fit or just the fabric?

Im gonna change the whole hood i think as they seem alot easier to get than just the fabric and also if its easy enough to change myself then ill have a go at it.

·
Registered
27,269 Posts
funkyplates said:
Why not just go through insurance and get a spanking new one with glass, fitted, etc. Obviously depends on No-claims situation, excess, etc

Lee
Isn't insurance replacement "like for like"?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
chilly said:
lee cant go through the insurance as it was 3rd party f&t
Bugger!! Not sure of an easy way around that one apart from what you're doing....Maybe ring around local scrap yards?

Prob is 'like for like' but nothing to stop you paying difference between cost of plastic and glass rear screen, insurance still pay the same as they would anyway.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
chilly said:
thanks for the replies, so the mk2 hood will fit straight on a mk1 car?
do you mean the whole hood will fit or just the fabric?

Im gonna change the whole hood i think as they seem alot easier to get than just the fabric and also if its easy enough to change myself then ill have a go at it.
What colour is your car? I've got a 10 month old Maroon hood that will be going up for sale this week sometime. PM if you are interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts