MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
rover_200_brm
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity I was wondering if it's possible to alter the final drive ratio to give either more top speed (lower final drive ratio) or better acceleration (higher ratio)?

Not that I plan on doing this I just know that on motorcycles you can change the sprocket sizes to give you a customised across-the-board gearing change.

I expect it's more difficult on a car but it'd be interesting to see if you could have a car with a top speed of only 90mph but one that got there a lot quicker than one with a top speed of 115.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Its certainly possible. No idea why you would want to be doing this though as it would be rather noisy and uncomfotable on motorways.

·
Registered
rover_200_brm
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like I said just curious. For those of us who just blast around towns and never go near motorways it wouldn't be too bad.

It's more relevant on bikes as losing 20mph off the top speed when the top speed is 165mph isn't something you notice from day to day!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
speedfreak214 said:
like I said just curious. For those of us who just blast around towns and never go near motorways it wouldn't be too bad.

It's more relevant on bikes as losing 20mph off the top speed when the top speed is 165mph isn't something you notice from day to day!
You'd need a new gearbox unless you wanted to do the most ludicrously complicated gearbox surgery.
Would be good though, i mean why, when rover is a UK company, did they set the 70mph on my 400 to equate to about 3,500 RPM. Its too much. I know bringing it down to 3000 would mean creating a bigger gap between 4th and 5th but seeing as you may well sit at 70 for bloody hours on the motorway i think I might opt for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts