MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody please post the Rover workshop guide to changing discs and pads as that's what I want to do in the next few days. I've got the Haynes manual but any extra info or diagrams will help as I've never worked on brakes before. I also need to know what tools and parts I will need (fluids/sprays/greases etc.).

Brave/stupid? All top tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
the haynes will be fine, just use a good brake cleaner from halfords, clean the new disks thorughly with a degreasent. You dont really need any extra info if you have a manual already!

HTH

Ben

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
yeh, haynes gives a relatively straight forward guide. its something that when you know what you're doing only takes about 20 minutes either side of the car.
Steve

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
I think the Rover 200 brakes are as easy as it gets.... very simple design, and good to work on.

Just double / tripple check the fluid level as you push the piston back (making sure the top is off the fluid).... A little Piston movement = lots of fluid...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So a can of brake cleaner and a degreasant then.. Any need for grease for the pistons?

--Alan

·
Registered
446 Posts
Copper grease...available either in spray or tube...don't buy the spray, it's messy. The grease needs to be applied on the back side of the pads and on the sides of it where it is placed on the two metal shims on the caliper (take care that no grease is accidentally put on either the friction material of the pad or the disc itself!!!). I personally when i have the wheel out, I clean a bit the hub surface with a wire wool brush to take out any stuck deposits and apply a thin film of grease there too. The two screws holding the disc on the hub could be a challenge to take out, due to the age of the car, so in any case have a drill around. Apply grease to these screws too when you refit them, so next time you need to take them out they come off easily.

For the actual procedure follow Haynes :)

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
you won't need one TBH. Its supposedly for the screws that primatively hold the disk on when you remove the wheel, but i just drill them out.
Steve

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
You probably won't even need to do that, just get a screwdriver that perfectly fits the screws (not one that sort of fits) and give and really good manly twist. We did my mates 400 and those things were nearly concreated in. If they are being stubborn, spray some WD40 at them and give em good bang with a hammer.

Christ knows why they even bother with them, if the calliper and wheel can't hold the disc on two crappy little screws ain't going to.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Righto, I've whipped the first set of pads out but have now discovered that I need a G-Clamp to squeeze the piston, DOh!

A long WALK to B&Q for me then.

Thanks for advice so far, seems quite a simple job although I'm not to confident about drilling those screws out..

--Alan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The screws came out easily with my big new B&Q screwdriver! Have greased it all as you suggested, doing the 2nd one tomorrow (weather permitting).

Thanks for your helpful advice.

--Alan

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finished the job today, brakes seem to be working fine.

What I ended up needing..

--New Discs and Pads (approx £45 partco)
--3/8" Socket set
--24" Breaker Bar (£20 Halfords)
--Torque Wrench (£25 Draper, local parts shop)
--Tube of Copper Grease (£4 local parts shop)
--Pair of Axle stands (£10 Halfords)
--3pt x 200mm Phillips screwdriver (£4 B&Q)
--Spray Can of Brake Cleaner
--G-Clamp (£4 B&Q)

It was really satisfying and not too complicated. Saved quite a bit on the local ATS price and I've now got the tools.

Now on to the drums and shoes.. Any advice there?

--Alan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts