MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was tlking to my dad , he's gun help me as he's done it before and i havn't but he was just asking , are their any special tools needed to take the caliper off that mg rover have made it hard to do?

or is it as simple as other cars? =) cheers guy! thought i beter find out now before we start

pads shud b coming soon!

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,290 Posts
Just a 10mm spanner (don’t quote me on the size) for the front callipers, just loosen the top bolt and remove the bottom bolt and swing the calliper up. The pistons need pushing back with a screwdriver or proper tool.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah no probs then! =D thinking of a brake hose kit while im at it to! =) ..is it a dead give away that i just got paid? lol

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
12mm for caliper bolts on the F (although one side of mine are 13).

You MAY want to think about a piston return tool or G clamp (though I have always managed wthout one). I would recommend abit more strongly a piston screw tool for the rears as they need to be wound back whilst being pushed in, makes life easier.

Get some coppergrease too and put plenty on the rear of the pads and file the edges of the pads too so they are loose in the calipers.

Part for that, ites easy peasy and doesnt NEED any special tools.

P.S. Remember when you remove the calliper bolts, you will be looking at them backwards. i.e the bolts will be on the inside of the car as you look into the wheel arch. This means they will unscrew CLOCKWISE as opposed to anticlockwise whcih you would normally do. First time i did it spent about 2 hours tighteneing my bolts resulitng in a bent spanner and a broken caliper bolt. Doh!

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
If you are changing hoses too, then you will need brake fluid and a brake bleeding kit. A brake hose clamp may also be usefull.
And whatever you do, dont get brake fluid on the paintwork!

·
Registered
mg_tf
218 Posts
There is also a very thin metal plate which fits between the back of the brake pad and the inside of the caliper. This needs to be fitted with your new pads - with plenty of copper grease as mentioned before - otherwise you will get brake screech.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts