MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i had my NS cv joint changed yesturday and when i brake and are just coming to a stop the abs comes in every time - which means i roll for about 3 meters . but theres no ABS light on - it came on once but when i re-started my car again it wasnt there.

had a quick look at it today and noticed that grease was all over the abs sensor and cv joint so i had the clip tightened and the sensor cleaned quickly but its still no different

i thought that the cv joint was the same as it has the ridges all around it,

any one else had this problem?
cheers
john

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Check the sensor is clean and undamaged and close to the reluctor ring. Also check that the reluctor ring isn't cracked.
Lastly check the wiring to the sensor. It is sometiems easy to break the wiring if you strain it whilst removing or replacing something.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Check the sensor is clean and undamaged and close to the reluctor ring. Also check that the reluctor ring isn't cracked.
Lastly check the wiring to the sensor. It is sometiems easy to break the wiring if you strain it whilst removing or replacing something.
Spot on! Who did the work on the car?

When changing anything in that area, particularly the driveshafts or CV-Joints, unless working with care throughout, it's very easy to stress (stretch ) the ABS sensor's cable. Only takes a second's lapse of concentration and the damage is done.

whats the reluctor ring?
Reluctor ring. That is a series of regularly gapped small metal plates on a ring around the CV-joint. Those gapped plates rotate with the shaft and pass closeby a magnetic ABS sensor which computes ABS requirements. Any stess on these sensitive components can cause what is described here, or result in the ABS light staying on continuously.

If you have a Multimeter, it's possible to check the continuity of the faulty (identified) ABS sensor to see if it reads correct values..... There will be a connector for each ABS sensor in the car. Disconnect the 'faulty' one and use the Multimeter's continuity test facility to check it and compare with known good ones elsewhere on the car.

I know this checking procedure is covered somewhere over on Rovertech.net a couple of years back as I (MGJohn) posted up my experiences there when experiencing exactly this ABS problem following gearbox removal on a TomCat turbo. If a search on MG-R.org does not cover the job, pop over and search Rovertech.net.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ok cool, well the mechanic (a mate) is taking another look at it today for me.

lol he had a quick look this morning like i said and cleaned it with some brake cleaner as it was gunked in grease but i said he cud use my brake cleaner that i had in the back of my car that i didnt need and as he was using it the whole wheel arch BURST into flames! I KID YOU NOT! my mate flew backward and tried to put the fire out with his hand but it was blazing lol, he had to get the fire extinguisher. lol the crappy brake cleaner i gave him didnt have a thin tube on the end and it was going every where and went on the light he was using and boom lol. after we both couldnt stop laughing especially at his hair (whats left of it).

still cant stop laughing when i think of it now.

any way im taking it to him later when the ramp is free and ill tell him what you guys said, ill take the sensor offf my self and clean it. if not its not the end of the world juts being a sensor - i was worried that it was the control unit or the actual cv joint being dodgy.

cheers
john

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no the car was stone cold, it was the halogen light that he was using so he could see what he was doing

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,901 Posts
Please define 'wrong' .... no reluctor ring?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea the reluctor ring was there but it was way too small and was about 1cm away from the sensor but it was annoying as everything else was perfect and if you werent looking for the differences in the reluctor ring you wouldnt have spotted it. annoying because i had to pay the mechanic to take it off and put it on and then clean my old one out thoroughly and put it back on.

it still made the dodgy noise when i put the new one on so i dont know if the cv joint was dodgy anyway

im gonna change the uppper ball joints because they look shot

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
bugger!!

i was gonna put money on it being the wrong CV joint :cus:

they have to have the right amount of teeth for the Ti.

bit of a dodgy "mate" to blow himself up lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts