MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

After having our car for the last two weeks now we have started to look at changing a few things.

I am looking at changing the dash a bit and have found a few bits on ebay etc but would like to know whats involved in changing it?

All advice would be great!

Thanks Very Much
Simon

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Its relatively simple to remove the console trim. You need to remove the gearknob, the gator and gearlever trim (which are attached to each other) and are clipped in place, and the stereo.
Its then just a matter of releasing the 5 trim clips that hold it on.

·
Registered
mgf
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that, I have seen a complete silver console on ebay and I want kow ifte switches will fit etc, What else wil i need to by?

Cheers All

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Simon_peters said:
Thanks for that, I have seen a complete silver console on ebay and I want kow ifte switches will fit etc, What else wil i need to by?

Cheers All
What model `F` do you have??

The silver ones on e-bay are Mk2 F or TF........ they will fit the Mk1 `F`, but you will need to alter the heater control box to make it look right!!

·
Registered
mgf
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marl.L said:
What model `F` do you have??

The silver ones on e-bay are Mk2 F or TF........ they will fit the Mk1 `F`, but you will need to alter the heater control box to make it look right!!
We have a 5 f. Is it a lot of work or a case of getting the right bits?

Thanks very much

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Simon_peters said:
Sorry meant a 95 n reg f
Then a MK1..

The MK1 centre console is a little different than the MK2 and TF console....
Other than the obvious round gator surround on the later ones (yours is square), the heater surround part of the console is set further out, this means that allthought it will be a direct fit to your MK1, there will be a `gap` betwen the console and your heater controls.
You can either `pack` your existing heater box out to meet it, or fit the later heater box!!.

Or of course buy a Silver MK1 console!!.. see my old `F`

http://gallery.mg-rover.org/data/515/10519MGF_089.jpg

·
Registered
mgf
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marl.L said:
Then a MK1..

The MK1 centre console is a little different than the MK2 and TF console....
Other than the obvious round gator surround on the later ones (yours is square), the heater surround part of the console is set further out, this means that allthought it will be a direct fit to your MK1, there will be a `gap` betwen the console and your heater controls.
You can either `pack` your existing heater box out to meet it, or fit the later heater box!!.

Or of course buy a Silver MK1 console!!
Oh right, thanks for that. I haven't seen any mk1 console's for sale. Is this something i can get from mike satur???

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Simon_peters said:
Oh right, thanks for that. I haven't seen any mk1 console's for sale. Is this something i can get from mike satur???
Mike satur, MGFC etc all will do the silver MK1 console, or you could of course get your own painted (see mine above).

Its not to hard to convert your console to the later one (see link below), and doing this IMHO makes the interior look much more modern!!.

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/interior/centre_console/index.htm

·
Registered
mgf
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have a complete centre console taking up space in my shed if you're interested! (complete with cubby lid, ashtray, lighter etc...)

·
Registered
mgf
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pete T said:
I have a complete centre console taking up space in my shed if you're interested! (complete with cubby lid, ashtray, lighter etc...)
Really, in silver?

How much you looking for it mate?

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you buy silver console from mgfc you can send your standard console that you have in you car already to them and they will give you about 40 quid for it so it will bring down the price abit. ive just changed my 96 mgf to silver and it makes a big difference. people like to look in when you pull up at the lights with the roof down!! the only part i had trouble getting was the heater control panel. they seem to be hard to get hold of. got mine from a breaker in the end good price too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts