MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals.
I've had a scroll through the central locking woes and it seems nothing has been posted or updated recently, so I thought I'd ask.
Central locking will not lock by key or fob, it unlocks but won't lock. I get the beep from the horn as if a door is open. All are closed, with no message on the dash.
I see a few posts saying they had the same problem, but none has been updated with a cure.
Any ideas?
My instinct is to replace the drivers door mechanism, but at £110 I'd rather have a second opinion before I head off to Rimmers.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
cityrover
42 Posts
On my car only the passenger door lock is working. All doors lock by key remote but sometimes one door the rear right one won't lock. Also only the passenger door will unlock by remote , the others 3 doors must be opened by hand from inside. I don't bothered to change them since is a lot of work specially with the driver door. Driver door i open by putting the key in the fob. Sry is my english is bad. I think the locking mechanism are the same as the mini cooper but I'm not 100% sure anymore. Also i know people who repaired the mechanism by themselves, the motor inside must be changed. My doors worked until 2012. In 2012 they start failing one by one. If you don't want to open your car by putting the key inside the door then you must change the mechanism. I personally don't bother with such things .

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my car only the passenger door lock is working. All doors lock by key remote but sometimes one door the rear right one won't lock. Also only the passenger door will unlock by remote , the others 3 doors must be opened by hand from inside. I don't bothered to change them since is a lot of work specially with the driver door. Driver door i open by putting the key in the fob. Sry is my english is bad. I think the locking mechanism are the same as the mini cooper but I'm not 100% sure anymore. Also i know people who repaired the mechanism by themselves, the motor inside must be changed. My doors worked until 2012. In 2012 they start failing one by one. If you don't want to open your car by putting the key inside the door then you must change the mechanism. I personally don't bother with such things .

Opening them with the key isn't an issue, the problem is getting them to lock, by key or remote.

·
Registered
cityrover
42 Posts
Opening them with the key isn't an issue, the problem is getting them to lock, by key or remote.
Oh yeah, your problem is bigger than mine . You can try a second hand mechanism from scrap yard. I guess will cost like 10- 20 pounds.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
It sounds like a faulty microswitch within the drivers door lock - the car doesn't recognise that the door's closed so won't let you lock it. You might be able to repair the existing lock but your best bet is swapping it for a known good replacement.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like a faulty microswitch within the drivers door lock - the car doesn't recognise that the door's closed so won't let you lock it. You might be able to repair the existing lock but your best bet is swapping it for a known good replacement.
Yes I think that's the issue. The more annoying thing is that obviously the tailgate doesn't lock. So it's become a more important issue than just locking it by pushing the door buttons down on each door.

·
Registered
cityrover
42 Posts
Last advice i can give you is to make a test with TOAF if you can , and see if is something wrong with the BCU( i think this is the right name of the module). Or a T4 session if you can . I remember winter when is freezing outside i had some open and close problem with the doors because of the ice inside doors , and even if I closed the car remotely or manually the car made a sound and show on dashboard one door is open( but the doors was closed) so something wrong with the micro switch like someone said earlier.

When i connected my car to TOAF i seen there the error from doors .

And sorry if my advice won't help you.

Or you can disconnect the BCU (someone please correct me if the name of the module is wrong) and clean the plug-in and reconnect it. BCU is located under the glove box. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
No error code possible with a simple OBD reader?

·
Registered
cityrover
42 Posts
No error code possible with a simple OBD reader?
I don't know i never used those. I used a chinese Delphi but i don't remember if Delphi can read the BCU. And for TOAF you need a VAG COM kkl obd2 ii nterface which is cheap and you need to solder the pin 7 and 8 together. You can find some help on rover mg forums.

·
Registered
rover_75
298 Posts
Hi guys and gals.
I've had a scroll through the central locking woes and it seems nothing has been posted or updated recently, so I thought I'd ask.
Central locking will not lock by key or fob, it unlocks but won't lock. I get the beep from the horn as if a door is open. All are closed, with no message on the dash.
I see a few posts saying they had the same problem, but none has been updated with a cure.
Any ideas?
My instinct is to replace the drivers door mechanism, but at £110 I'd rather have a second opinion before I head off to Rimmers.

Thanks all.
Open the bonnet, put a weight on the bonnet switch does your car now lock?

Regards

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Open the bonnet, put a weight on the bonnet switch does your car now lock?

Regards
Nope, still get the single horn beep.
I think the way forward is to replace the drivers lock.
Seems a lot of things point to it being that.

No local scrapyards have any 75 in
So Rimmers it is. 💰💰

1 - 11 of 11 Posts