MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drivers side central locking mechanism is buzzing when it’s opened by the fob or by the key, the noise is not there when locking it.
My F is an early one 1995/96 and the mechanism is the hard wired type with a 6 pin 1 inch plug and a small plug with only 2 wires going to it.
I have tried all the usual suppliers but they only have the later versions whereby the 1 inch plug only has 3 wires and the smaller plug has several going to it.
They have told me this type will still fit but I can’t see how it can due to the wiring being different, the later type also has plugs on the end of a short loom.
Few questions
1 Will the later one just plug and play or can I adapt it?
2 Can I transplant the motor from the newer unit on to my one?
3 Do you anyone that has the very early locking mechanism in stock?

I will try and attach an image of my unit for info shorty...

Hope you can help, cheers Kenny

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi all, here is an image of the plugs on my mechanism, you can probably make out the 1 inch plug has 6 wires going to it and the smaller one too.

96D3B9D8-91F1-4EA9-BDD6-F9ED93CC95DC.jpeg

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is an update for you guys as I hate to see threads unfinished especially when you are looking for the solution.
Firstly, there are several different types of locks for these cars, mine is an early model with 2 plugs in the drivers side (1 with 2 wires and the other 1 inch plug with 6) despite calling a few of the well known spares suppliers who told me they were all the same, they are not. Most locks available are post 1998 and have the short loom attached, these are not comparable with early cars unless you want to start splicing wires!
Early locks are hard to come by but I managed to get both sides via an auction site after about two weeks for £20 each.
I looked at CJJs how too and followed this , it’s a bit fiddly but I did the passenger side in 20 mins and the drivers side in 30 mins. I did look at Robs as he does explain about the difference in the units but his how to is a bit long winded as he removes the door lock which there is no need to do.
Both locks work perfectly and now locking and unlocking my F is a very quiet affair with no buzzing or rat tat tat 👍👍👍

1 - 4 of 4 Posts