MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
what a guy
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright chaps, bit worried...

got home tonight about 10 mins ago and my car wouldn't lock.

the remote wouldn't do anything and when I tried locking it with the key only the driver's door locked (i dunno if its supposed to do all the doors with the key)

the little red ring of light around the ignition doesnt light up either, the little red flashing light on the dash doesn't do anything and the interior light doesnt do anything if its on the setting where it lights up when unlocked.

anyone got any ideas?

cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuse for sure

Hi, i'm not an expert but the exact thing hapen to me last week, and i was able to fix it.
Check the fuse for the central lock (fuse box under the hood), i think it's the first one any way it says in the fuse box cap.

Sry about my english but i'm portuguese and i haven't pratice much.

Cheers.

·
what a guy
6,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah it still starts fine, I disconnected the battery and left it for about 10 minutes on the off chance that it would do anything... which it didn't lol.

I'll check the fuses

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Good point that any electrical problems should always be checked at the FuseBox first! Solved my interior light and sunroof issue after hours of taking the light off putting it on, taking the interior apart to access wiring that didnt have a problem. I just take the interior fuse cover off to check it again (after my Dad had checked it and given it the OK) and what do I see the plug socket hanging out the plug, plugged it in and hey presto!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hi.. I had a simular problem with my zr and it turned out to be the driver central locking motor was knackered. Cost approx £200 for a new motor fitted at a MGR garage in January this year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have also 214 si 98 model year. when I press the Door unlock button on the fob, It was working. But If Pressed the door lock button, It was not working.
But a few days ago, the system completely have fault. and the fob does not working anymore. any idea?

thans
Regards
Hakan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check all the fuses first and check the battery's still charged. Does it start ok?
hi any ideas as to whats up with mine plz i wouldnt mind if the fob was just broke but it wont let me even start my car sometimes its a night mare
i have changed the battery in the key and i am sat there ages trying to start

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
First thing to check is the fuses. There is the main drivers fusebox and then there's one under the bonnet.

When you turn the key to ingition II does a beeping start? If it does then that means that the immobiliser is still on. Try pressing the unlock button on the key fob and then the lock button 5 times. That should resync the fob. If not then the fob itself could be faulty. It's a common problem and might just need a little bit of re-soldering.

·
Registered
21 Posts
any ideas would be helpful like, isnt there some way to bypass the fob and just use the key, cos it beeps at me when i try and start it but it doesnt even try to start the engine. if that makes sense

·
Registered
21 Posts
First thing to check is the fuses. There is the main drivers fusebox and then there's one under the bonnet.

When you turn the key to ingition II does a beeping start? If it does then that means that the immobiliser is still on. Try pressing the unlock button on the key fob and then the lock button 5 times. That should resync the fob. If not then the fob itself could be faulty. It's a common problem and might just need a little bit of re-soldering.
yeah thats when it beeps at me well i tried the other day to unlock the car with the key in the door then pressed the lock button 5 times i think and it seemed to have worked but then it went back again to being a pain lol

·
Registered
21 Posts

should i press the buttons while i have the key in the ignition or take it out, or when it is beep9ng at me

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
any ideas would be helpful like, isnt there some way to bypass the fob and just use the key, cos it beeps at me when i try and start it but it doesnt even try to start the engine. if that makes sense
There's something called an EKA key. A 4 digit code that can bypass the immobiliser and let you drive the car. It will either be in your owners manual or you'll have to phone someone (can't quite remember who) and they'll give it to you. It involves you turning the key so many times left then right etc

Press the buttons when you're outside the car. I take it your central locking doesn't work either?

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's something called an EKA key. A 4 digit code that can bypass the immobiliser and let you drive the car. It will either be in your owners manual or you'll have to phone someone (can't quite remember who) and they'll give it to you. It involves you turning the key so many times left then right etc

Press the buttons when you're outside the car. I take it your central locking doesn't work either?
well i have just tried that and it seems to have worked but then again i thought that the other day, i pressed the lock button like you said then the unlock 5 times so, but the central locking was working only sometimes though

·
Registered
21 Posts
oh yeah i think this all started cos i left my lights on a couple of weeks ago and had to bump start the car
and i dont have a manual which is annoying but i didnt get one

1 - 20 of 27 Posts