MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, finally got round to sorting out my 98 mgf thanks to the lockdown. I’m now almost at the paint stage and am planning to use cellulose paint as it seems easier if maybe a bit more work. My question is after doing a bit of reading is weather this will react with the paint on the car? I’ve seen a few posts and articles where this has happened....
Cheers,
Karl

·
Registered
mg_tf
139 Posts
My experience is that it will react with the clear coat. Get that all off and you should be ok, I used the paint on mine same as that from Halfords but my local motor factor will mix any quantity I want. If you don't want to get all the clear coat off use barcoat. I use Upol Barcoat and it does the job. I might add that technically you shouldn't use cellulose on our cars it can be used on classics that were painted that way. I can't use 2 pack as I had a bad reaction so have to go for 1k paint systems. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me, i have put a coat of aerosol primer on everything while I have been storing things, this has gone on okay so would it not be enough to form a barrier for the cellulose paint?
cheers,

karl

·
Registered
mg_tf
301 Posts
Hello Karl,
If you are doing DIY paint refinishing then you have very little option other than using cellulose paint. As has been indicated, do not use 2 pack paint, unless you have the appropriate outside air fed breathing masks - this paint can seriously damage your health!
Apart from that, you would need to cover/mask off any parts of the car (and the surroundings) since the fall out from this paint will simply adhere to anything it comes to rest on.
Moving back to cellulose - it’s a very forgiving paint system and lends itself to part panel repairs and subsequent ‘cutting back’ where finishes from the gun are not up to standard. Preparation must be thorough, since unlike two pack, this system is not high build and any imperfections will remain rather than be covered over.
The other problem you will find is that the quality of cellulose paint can be highly variable - some being more akin to gloss paint. Well worth choosing a good brand from a reputable supplier. If you Google ‘Ken and Lyn Paints’ you should get all the advice you need there (no connection). Equally important as the quality of the paint, is the quality of the thinners - do not use standard thinners as a substitute for the far more important expensive ‘top cost/ finishing’ thinners.
Spraying over the existing finish? Personally I’ve not had any problems.
Kind regards,
Austin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts