MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all, next weekend I am taking my ZT-T CDTi to the south of france, it will be fully loaded with holiday regalia, roofbox, dog, wife and towing a rather big Caravan!! Although it has only 16k on the clock, I have thoroughly serviced the car and checked it over in minute detail. my only teeny worry is a thread that i had read on this forum some time ago about a common problem with the engine cooling fan. I must stress that it currently works perfectly, but in the souring temperatures in France i want to be prepared should the worst happen.

can anyone tell me about the potential fault? what is it caused by? where is the fault? last but not least how it can be corrected or overiden in an emergency?

Cheers Dudes

J

Ps. when I return from holiday I will put the details on here about the full service which I photographed in detail including changing the fiddly pollen filter, details will follow... and the superbly fitted Brink tow bar which is totally invisible when the neck is removed.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
2,464 Posts
Either the relay pack dies, or the fan motor itself. Neither of which have a quick fix or work around I'm afraid, both require the front end to come off the car.

Common fault, but I wouldn't worry. If you set your air con to AUTO and the fan on the rad comes on, you know it's working fine.

Enjoy your holiday :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rich, any idea where the relay is located? I am a retired motor engineer, but you know how these things are.... easy to sort once youve found the part! only need to know just in case!
Cheers
J

·
Registered
25 Posts
kit

how much is the kit mike? last time i had a service they said my fan or whatever had packed in. May need areplacement will try the aircon thing tommorow

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Fan Motor & Control Box

They were on ebay yesterday for £99 from SMC which is a cracking price.
However, check with the Gurus which is which for your car as they are model specific I beleive.
SMC quote the part No. as PGJ000070 and go on to say if it is not the correct one you can cut and resolder the wires. I am not sure this is correct/possible. (MAYBE this is PGJ000090 and they have got No. wrong ? ?)
I phoned the Rover/XPART dealer here today and they gave me the following car/fan model Nos.
2 Litre Diesel :- PGJ000110
1.8 & 2.5 Petrol :- PGJ000090
1.8 turbo :- PGJ000100
If anyone can throw any light on this please post your comments.
Next cheapest I have seen is ECP 01767 682100.
Of interest I also asked Steve Ingham at Marshalls Peterborough (who have some good offers on ebay at present) if he had fans at discount. His reply :"they fly out the door so we cannot reduce price" ! !

·
Registered
rover_75
3,524 Posts
Don’t worry about things like that....

Or you will get like me and keep opening the window to hear if the fan is still working!!

End of the day enjoy your car that is why you brought it, Yeah some times things go wrong but that does not mean yours will!!

Have a lovely trip to France you picked a brilliant car to go on the journey in!

Alex

:=p:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Fan Motor & Control Box

Alex30013k said:
Alex. Didn't mean to put the 'frighteners' on and it was not aimed at anyone in particular. However, for example, ZTTboy asked a question and yesterday someone said they had bought one of the £99 units.......... There are so many enquiries about the fan on here and thought the above might assist. From my own point of view I am interested to learn more as it is likely to be a problem I will have to deal with sooner or later and all the answers are not clear cut yet.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Alex30013k said:

Or you will get like me and keep opening the window to hear if the fan is still working!!

End of the day enjoy your car that is why you brought it, Yeah some times things go wrong but that does not mean yours will!!

Have a lovely trip to France you picked a brilliant car to go on the journey in!

Alex

:=p:
Cheers Alex... cant wait to go....we have driven down to the south coast 14 times over the years, the best car we ever went in was a Rover 827 SLi...so im very much looking forward to the drive in the ZT-T shame there is a great big caravan attached to it! LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts