MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little fault on my air con. At times it makes a funny sound and the rev counter moves slightly, only when ticking over. If I press the econ button its not their. Is it the dreaded fault with the fan relay or something else?

·
Registered
358 Posts
When your air con is on the econ setting, the compressor does not run. When you select the air con to operate, the compressor starts up. This will put a load on the engine, demanding power so the engine wil speed up slightly. Leave the car idling and put on a heavy power accessory such as the heated rear window or the headlights and the same thing will happen.

When any engine is idling, it is only developing enough power to overcome internal friction and to drive the anciliaries (alternator, power steering pump, etc). If you add any other demands to it, it will alter speed accordingly.

If you operate the air con on the move, the enigine is already at relatively hgh revs and power output is higher, so you simply wouldn't notice any change. I don't believe you have a problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reassuring reply, I will try what you say. However, I have my doubts as I have never experienced it before. I first noticed it in Jan. this year after a 100 mile drive and the funny sound appeared whilst stood still. I hope your right and its just me.

·
Registered
358 Posts
What sort of noise are you hearing? Is it coming from any particular part of the car. I have heard comments on this forum of the gas refrigerent making (gurgling?) sounds as it circulates. Might be that. I stand by my comments regarding the engine speed changing when you operate the air con though. It's just physics!!

Come on air con experts!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be gurgling but not sure. Something "kicks in" and then goes off causing the tickover to vary. Picked up my daughter tonight and its the first time she has heard it. The air con appears to work ok but for this problem.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
madone said:
It could be gurgling but not sure. Something "kicks in" and then goes off causing the tickover to vary. Picked up my daughter tonight and its the first time she has heard it. The air con appears to work ok but for this problem.
Get a bit closer to the problem, crouch in front of the grill and get someone (that you trust implicitly) to operate the aircon, listen for any unusal noise from the fan, same again with the bonnet open. See if you can locate it that way.

Sorry if this sounds too obvious.

MM

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
It could be the compressor cuting in and out on demand, it won't run 100% of the time once the desired temp is required, or it could be that your gas pressure is borderline again causing the system to run eratically

go and get the gas checked

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello,
Just a thought , whilst stationary the cooling fan often switches to a higher speed to help cool the air con condensor, this only generally happens when stationary as at other times the air flow is sufficient, it is fairly noisy and does affect the revs as the engine adjusts to the new load. The cooling fan has three speeds I am told and should come on its slowest setting when auto is selected on climate control, its only when it moves up a notch you tend to notice it. Hope this helps

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just done some testing and it looks like the fan isnt working. Turned the temp right down and it just blows air out not ice cold as it did last summer. It normally sounds like an aircraft but its not happening. Is it the fan relay?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
549 Posts
I've noticed mine making a new noise, a hissing sound from what sounds like the drivers side behind the dash or just the otherside of the bulkhead. A hissing sound that is just like someone opening a gas valve for about 20 seconds, then closing it, then opening it again. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Spoke to my local X part garage which I have used for years. When I explained the symptons he thought it may want re gassing even though the fan is not working at all. As in previous threads I exchanged relays in fuse box without success to make the fan work.

It is booked into garage for tomorrow. Being a regular customer, they offered me a 2 year warranty (£220) last year when Rover went bust. It covers all mechanical and electrical faults including air con and fan but not re gas.

Question is, do I let them know this before they inspect or wait until they hit me with a bill for £000's and then happily tell them do it under the warranty?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its the dreaded fan and relay. A new one has been ordered and total price including fitting is over £300:yikes: will have it done end of the week.

Told him to do it under warranty and its now only costing me £69 which is 25% for the parts only. I was suprisingly told this is due to the car having covered over 50k miles, something I did not know about when I got the warranty.

From the XPart site I printed a Health Check voucher which entitles me to a free kit worth £28 and asked them for it. Nice surprise waiting for me when I picked up the car as its a freeby worth having:bgrin:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Obviously this thread is boring so prepare yourselves for those that have never had a fan failure!!! Its coming to get you boys!!!

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
2,237 Posts
thnaks for getting back and tellin us the fault etc :) sorry to hear about your problems hope all is sorted soon for you

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New motor and relay pack fitted today, everything is back as it was:D

Will PM Rover Ron to see if he wants to play about with the old one and cure the relay problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts