MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

My newly acquired 51plate R45 has a radio/casette.
I would like a CD player, if I could get one with Bluetooth that would be great

Question is; Can I pop down to Halfords and buy one? Is it a standard size? Will the wiring be compatible? Is it easy to source an up to date system that will fit?

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
My previous Rover 200 and MG ZR were both plug and play. I see "Adapters" listed, but never needed one.
(Could be they already had the adapter).

It should be as simple as sliding out the existing head unit (The replacement headunit should come with 2 metal bits that slide down the side of the headunit, releasing the clips and it'll slide straight out.

Unplug the unit. Then plug the new unit in and slide it back in.

You MAY need to replace the metal cage, but this is just flimsy metal that has lugs bent to lock it in place, unbend them and remove.

Slide the new cage in, bend the lugs to locate it, connect up your headunit and slide in.

Nice and easy.

You want any headunit that is Single DIN (I think an R45 is single DIN). DIN is the unit height, compare it online single vs double din.

Good luck! I'm doing this on my new ZR when the thing eventually arrives from Amazon! (Got one with Bluetooth myself!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My previous Rover 200 and MG ZR were both plug and play. I see "Adapters" listed, but never needed one.
(Could be they already had the adapter).

It should be as simple as sliding out the existing head unit (The replacement headunit should come with 2 metal bits that slide down the side of the headunit, releasing the clips and it'll slide straight out.

Unplug the unit. Then plug the new unit in and slide it back in.

You MAY need to replace the metal cage, but this is just flimsy metal that has lugs bent to lock it in place, unbend them and remove.

Slide the new cage in, bend the lugs to locate it, connect up your headunit and slide in.

Nice and easy.

You want any headunit that is Single DIN (I think an R45 is single DIN). DIN is the unit height, compare it online single vs double din.

Good luck! I'm doing this on my new ZR when the thing eventually arrives from Amazon! (Got one with Bluetooth myself!)
The other consideration is if you want steering wheel controls? If you do, you'll need the correct cable and adaptor for your car/ ICE brand.
Cheers guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts