MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
rover_200_brm
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pulling away from standstll yesterday (with a little bit of welly) and when I tried to change to second it wasn't there. None of the other gears were. And the gear stick movement was being restricted somehow. So I limped the rest of the way across London Bridge and pulled over (burning oil smell in the cabin)

Upon inspection it seems there's a hole in the bottom of the gearbox and all the gearbox oil had come out. I'm assuming the gearbox has destroyed itself and fired out through the casing. Is this 'normal'? And more importantly - how much is this going to cost to fix?

Cheers

·
Registered
16,045 Posts
Depends whether or not you have the skill/equipment to fit a new gearbox yourself mate... I recently had mine replaced which cost about £300 all-in, but I had quotes ranging from £100 to £1200 for the box alone... :err:

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
gearbox can be an easy job to do, depends how you go about it. more than likely a garage will take the entire engine out to do it.
i myself have found it easy to just jack the engine up and let the gearbox slide out between the roll bar and tie bar.
get the box from a scrappy mate, or from ebay. make sure it has plenty of oil in cause they often get neglected.
how competant are you with the tools mate?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Easy enough to do. Leave the engine in situ and with an average tool kit should not take more than a day. Couples of hours when you have done a few.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
lates said:
Easy enough to do. Leave the engine in situ and with an average tool kit should not take more than a day. Couples of hours when you have done a few.
you go down the loosen suspension root, yank out drive shafts etc?

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
in that case all he will need is a few spanners/allan keys, a fork chizel splitter thing and thats it.
however it is easy to round off and bodge the mounting bolts etc if not supported correctly.

·
Registered
rover_200_brm
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Forgot to mention it's a 214 bubble if that makes any difference. I'm fairly competent with a set of tools. Most of my experience is with bikes (motorbikes) but I reckon I could do this.

Would it be worth replacing the clutch when I do this? I think that's been on the way out too and it probably need doing. The cars only done 45,00 miles but the gearbox and clutch hasn't been right since I bought the car a few months ago.

Any particular barriers I might encounter? loosening the suspension and removing the drive shaft sounds a bit messy.

Cheers

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
speedfreak214 said:
Thanks for the replies. Forgot to mention it's a 214 bubble if that makes any difference. I'm fairly competent with a set of tools. Most of my experience is with bikes (motorbikes) but I reckon I could do this.

Would it be worth replacing the clutch when I do this? I think that's been on the way out too and it probably need doing. The cars only done 45,00 miles but the gearbox and clutch hasn't been right since I bought the car a few months ago.

Any particular barriers I might encounter? loosening the suspension and removing the drive shaft sounds a bit messy.

Cheers
mostly straight forward mate. i doubt youll find out method in a haynes manuel etc. so well explain it to ya if you wish. you may aswell change the clutch as well, takes 2 seconds when the box is out.
just make sure you get a good gearbox to go in.
btw the drive shafts just pull out and push back in. no prob.

·
Registered
rover_200_brm
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brilliant looks like I'll do it myself then. I'll get a gearbox and new clutch and post again when I'm fitting it. Might have to take you up on that offer on instructions if I get stuck.

I'm a little worried about buying a used gearbox that'll die as soon as I put it in. How much does a new gearbox cost?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 26 Posts