MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are many threads on the best types of oil and the arguments for semi vs. fully synthetic, and I am sorry to create another one about oil, but I have been unable find the answer to my query in them.

1. Is Castrol GTX (Not Magnatec) a mineral oil?
and 2. Will it perform well in my Mk3 200 1.4 16v? (in the owners handbook it merely recommends a 10W-40 oil, doesn't specify that it has to be semi-synth)

Being a student the fact that normal GTX is about £10 cheaper than Magnatec makes me sway towards that, but I am slightly confused and I don't want to put the wrong oil in my car.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
gangsteral said:
i thought u could buy castrol in semi synthetic form , well thats whaty halfrauds told me
I know GTX Magnetec is part-synth. I would have presumed that GTX was part-synth too but that would purely have been a guess.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'm convinced that there is some elaborate con going on with this term semi syth.

i think even the oils with good brand names that are not called semi synth ..ARE

as far as i can make out all semi synth means is the mineral oil has Been cracked .......it's still mineral oil ..

it isn't half synthetic .............it comes out of the ground.

You are paying extra just because it says semi synth on the tin.

I would not be ripped off like this, either buy
a good brand of mineral oil ...or the full on fully synth only.

ALL THE BEST.......MARK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts