MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met an interesting guy yesterday at the MG car club meeting @ Abingdon Airshow. Mervyn Griffiths of Streamline Carbon.
He is developing a range of carbon fibre body panels for MGF's. He has just bought an MGF and intends to trial fit prototype panels to this car before launching them, he's also interested in feedback from owners with any useful information that they can give him during the development stages.
Worth watching to see how it progresses.
http://www.streamlinecarbon.com/index.html

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
With the availability of standard MGR panels for the F/TF the way it is, this can only be a good thing surely! :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
just a thought but would the weight saving of say a bonnet and front wing swap affect the front end balance? I know my car benefitted greatly from good tyres, correct pressures and a front splitter as the front end feels light at speed and many here say that a little extra weight in the spare wheel well does wonders for the f/tf.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,125 Posts
I was thinking exactly the same thing Nick, apart from the boot lid do you want the front end any lighter then it is now?

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
just a thought but would the weight saving of say a bonnet and front wing swap affect the front end balance? I know my car benefitted greatly from good tyres, correct pressures and a front splitter as the front end feels light at speed and many here say that a little extra weight in the spare wheel well does wonders for the f/tf.
That would be my concern too, I know how 'planted' it felt when I put the spare in the front, I think removing weight it'd feel quite scary at speed. :errx2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
carbon panels

Hi i'm Mervyn i have joined the forum i will be making all the Carbon panels without large orders, i am interested in what people think because this will influence me. I am not alowed to advertise at the moment but i will try and keep you all posted.I am right now making moulds so i will be selling them soon Mervyn

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Well I think the major concerns are like others have said, taking weight away fromt he front of the car could be risky, i'd get some pictures/specs/prices up when you've got a bit further, and then see what others think. :)

·
Registered
33,210 Posts
Might be interesting as long as they are good quality. I was wondering about the weight distribution, but surely you could add ballast if needed. It would stop rust but I don't know what it would do for your crumple zone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
carbon panels

Hi the benifits to the car are with weight loss with carbon panels, you will go faster and you will do more to gallon. the handeling would be something to consider, if you take weight away from the front you will need to take some from the back eg bonnet and boot lid or both bumbers. you could put balast in low down at the front i think the race boys will advise on that when i talk to them. Mervyn

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I'd be interested in both bumpers, front wings, bonnet & bootlid if they're going? :hyper:

Sod the handling issue, I'll worry about that once all that lovely carbon is fitted!! :D :D

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Might be interesting as long as they are good quality. I was wondering about the weight distribution, but surely you could add ballast if needed. It would stop rust but I don't know what it would do for your crumple zone.
The problem with the F/TF is more to do with airflow, ie the front end tends to 'lift' at speed causing the light skitish steering..

IIRC Andy (SF) did look into changes to the front end to reduce/eliminate this lift (blocking the top bumper vents helped IIRC) if this was possible you could fit as many carbon panels to the front as you wished without effecting handling.

Sure Andy did a post on this........must be somewhere in the archives?.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Yep, it was when we were discussing the benefits of fitting an Elise type vent to the F bonnet and re-directing the airflow from the front up over the rad and out of the bonnet vents. Just search for elise bonnet and hey presto! :D

Ooooh, just had a thought, if Mervyn is doing carbon bonnets, can I have one with huge vents in please? :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts