MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Don't do it mate. I decided to take the lazy (and warmer) option of just putting it through the car wash a few times, thinking it seemed to turn out fine, but when summer came I could really see the effect it had on my car's paint :(

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
When I first got my car and was a paintwork noob I went through a Morrisons carwash and it snapped my aerial.

My dad always used to go in them in his 75 but it was silver so swirls and scratches dont show up as bad.

He did however get his plenums flooded causing fueling problems causing a dodgy fuel pump replacement causing him to leak fuel onto his tyres and spin out and write it off.

So there you go if you use mechanical car washes you will at best lose and aerial at worst lose your car.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Iam lucky in the fact that at work I have a nice car park and workshop just adjacent to it and now Ive changed the hot water tap so I can clip onto that,Ive also fooled them into buying me a pressure washer,dont think my works would be to pleased if they found out ware all the hot water went on a Friday afternoon

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
people use cold water to wash their cars? o_O

i use hot/warm from my taps... always...
she smiles and says thank you when i do :)
Yup did it the other day... bloody freezin by the end of it!

I do it the slow way with water from the water butts in the garden... need more watering cans so I can line up the rinse water without multiple trips :p

·
Registered
737 Posts
i know my car is 12 years old so the paint work will be tired on ma car but i'm sure its the automatic car washers that's buggered the paintwork on the roof, its all scratched stupid and has loads of small black marks showing through as if the paint work was not done properly in the first place

·
Registered
mg_zr
7 Posts
ask yourself an important question ..

Q. Do you love your car?

If so, Don't bother with the Rip-o-matics i lost a spoiler before, granted they work occasionally but the gamble just aint worth it .. I love nothing more than washing my car by hand .. she looks so purrrdy :)

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
i would rather let the car get extremely dirty then take it to a paint removal car wash lol

last time i went to one it cost me 2 front wings and a bonnet
Reminds me of our old '94 Peugeot 405 1.9TD...

We went to one of those drive through ones.

Came out with:

10" crack down the windscreen
2 massive dents in the roof
Snapped off arial
Loose spoiler
Badly scratched bonnet

Plus, they refused to pay for a new windscreen! So we had to pay for it come MOT time.

Unfortunately the 405 is now in resting in pieces, because it failed another MOT on underbody damage when some idiot in a Freelander hit us in the rear and pushed everything forwards :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I first got my car and was a paintwork noob I went through a Morrisons carwash and it snapped my aerial.

My dad always used to go in them in his 75 but it was silver so swirls and scratches dont show up as bad.

He did however get his plenums flooded causing fueling problems causing a dodgy fuel pump replacement causing him to leak fuel onto his tyres and spin out and write it off.

So there you go if you use mechanical car washes you will at best lose and aerial at worst lose your car detailing falls church va.
Hello. new here. did you know where I could find a coin-operated/self serve car wash within reasonable distance of the East Meadow area? I need to detail my car and don't have an open hose or driveway. Or if anyone could lend a driveway and hose, that'd be really helpful. I'd be willing to throw in a wash for your car in return. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
rover_25
428 Posts
Hello. new here. did you know where I could find a coin-operated/self serve car wash within reasonable distance of the East Meadow area? I need to detail my car and don't have an open hose or driveway. Or if anyone could lend a driveway and hose, that'd be really helpful. I'd be willing to throw in a wash for your car in return. Thanks for your help.
14 year old post.......

21 - 33 of 33 Posts