MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here and wanted some advice. I have had my TF for about 2 years, the usual things have gon wrong with it but now I've come across something different.

When I accelerate it doesn't do it like it used to, the engine sounds like its working harder than it should be to be going at the speed it is. It has recently had a service and passed its MOT easily. The Tyre pressures are fine (26 Front, 36 Rear although the steering does seem heavy).

Anyone any ideas? By the way I'm not too technical so please keep it in the terms of a 5 year old:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it's a 135, I've noticed a difference, when I'm travelling at 90 it normally does 3900 revs but it now does 4100. Would there be any danger in putting the tyre pressures for the front up to say 30?

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,188 Posts
I would check that the rear brakes aren't binding.

Increasing the tyre pressure may upset the handling so if you try it just be careful to begin with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a check and see what's going on, I did get new brakes when I got the service so it could well be that. Is petrol consumption affected when you open the second exhaust.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,188 Posts
The second exhaust pipe is only closed off using a valve to reduce drive by noise and will have no effect on fuel consumption.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I meant that the revs have increased in the same gear over the past few weeks. If I used an analogy it would be like describing running in sand, the same effort for lower speed.

Thanks Chris I might give it a try with the exhaust see how it souds and looks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That answers the question I think Dave, the clutch was replaced about 2 months ago so it's under warranty. Thanks very much for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts