MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know that I bought car magazine today and it has a 2-3 page article of the situation at MG Rover, one year on, and basically highlights what we have been disputing in these forums, including whats been shipped to china and what may stay here for example. Nevertheless its a fairly interesting read, and its in the shops now.
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
MGR_Petrolhead said:
Just to let you know that I bought car magazine today and it has a 2-3 page article of the situation at MG Rover, one year on, and basically highlights what we have been disputing in these forums, including whats been shipped to china and what may stay here for example. Nevertheless its a fairly interesting read, and its in the shops now.
Disputing what? That doesn't tell me anything - some details please!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36,532 Posts
if you look at the list of contributors to "CAR" you'll see a certain Keith at the beginning of the list. I expect all the other journalists are expecting to change their surnames by deed poll to "Aardvark" to beat him in the list.

Don't think this article is one of his, though. It's a short summary of the situation with items that have appeared here...
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
Aha, so at least it's a little more accurate than most things our motoring media then which has got to be a good thing.
 

·
Registered
rover_75
Joined
·
2,596 Posts
Mr_Censored said:
Yeah, yer man keith wrote the (excellent) article in that issue about going to Chernobyl in a Lada. Great stuff!
Keep watching! I'm planning on doing my own bit of pro-MGR journalism ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Please find attached JPG images of the the article by CAR magazine ( i scanned it in from my copy) Unfortunately due to the file size restraints on this forum I have had to cut out the majority of images and just include the text.

The last file 'rover4' is a separate article about the MG sport and racing auction. The magazine has also got 3 MG SV brochures to give away in a competition! This can be entered by accessing www.carmagazine.co.uk

hope this helps! If there are any problems with reading the articles, let me know and I'll try and enlarge them!

Which edition of Car Magazine Chris, and on what page?
Its the June 2006 edition, pages 23-25:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,212 Posts
The article claims the 75 line has gone to China along with the 25/45 line. Do they know something we don't or are they just mis-informed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This was the bit which made me think both concerned :irked: and ill-informed :err: It appears half true and half not true, any info on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,977 Posts
rlxs said:
The article claims the 75 line has gone to China along with the 25/45 line. Do they know something we don't or are they just mis-informed?
I think we heard on this forum last year that the 75 line split into two finishing lines, and that one of these was going to China. The other one stayed, together with the rest of the line.

Can anyone confirm that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,131 Posts
Part of the 75 line has gone to China... but not all of it.

From memory, I was told a finishing station (I presume there were at least two) and body pressings had gone to China, the remainder of the line is still sitting at Longbridge.

But don't take that as gospel as I can't vouch for the reliability of the person who told me... a complete stranger I happened to encounter at Fiveways Railway Station who was travelling to Worcester a while back :err:

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Of course I don't have much experience/knowledge on this, but surely if a production line is broken up, with certain parts extracted and relocated, then it is made inoperable? or doesn't it work like this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35,551 Posts
No not necessarily Chris.

The 75 production line went like this towards the end -------<==================

The end part, which has split in two has been sent to China. One track still remains at Longbridge.
 

·
Registered
rover_25
Joined
·
326 Posts
Well...I don't want to seem Rover Jockey (LOL), but without the 75/ZT production line at Longbridge, it's all over for me :sad3:
I was hoping MG was 50% made in Longbridge (TF and ZT) and 50% made in China (ZS and ZR). But according to this article MG will be 25% made in Longbridge (TF) and 75% made in China (ZT, ZS and ZR).

If this is true, for me it's over. I won't buy an MG again...:wavecry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35,551 Posts
Tiago Bueso said:
Well...I don't want to seem Rover Jockey (LOL), but without the 75/ZT production line at Longbridge, it's all over for me :sad3:
I was hoping MG was 50% made in Longbridge (TF and ZT) and 50% made in China (ZS and ZR). But according to this article MG will be 25% made in Longbridge (TF) and 75% made in China (ZT, ZS and ZR).

If this is true, for me it's over. I won't buy an MG again...:wavecry:
All I will say Tiego Bueso is, don't believe everything you read in the article. There were several areas that were completely wrong.

The best thing is to wait another 6 weeks or so, until the break period expires. That is when Nanjing seriousness wouldn't be doubted.
 

·
Registered
other_rover
Joined
·
8,737 Posts
Tiago Bueso said:
Well...I don't want to seem Rover Jockey (LOL), but without the 75/ZT production line at Longbridge, it's all over for me :sad3:
I was hoping MG was 50% made in Longbridge (TF and ZT) and 50% made in China (ZS and ZR). But according to this article MG will be 25% made in Longbridge (TF) and 75% made in China (ZT, ZS and ZR).

If this is true, for me it's over. I won't buy an MG again...:wavecry:
Same here..
 

·
Registered
rover_25
Joined
·
326 Posts
IanRobertson said:
All I will say Tiego Bueso is, don't believe everything you read in the article. There were several areas that were completely wrong.

The best thing is to wait another 6 weeks or so, until the break period expires. That is when Nanjing seriousness wouldn't be doubted.
I hope you are right, Ian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36,532 Posts
Mr_Censored said:
Yeah, yer man keith wrote the (excellent) article in that issue about going to Chernobyl in a Lada. Great stuff!
and that's why I bought that issue, Mr_Censored, only to find the Lada article (which Keith had asked us about here) had been in the previous month's issue! :doh:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top