MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I'll keep it brief...

I'm a listed driver (18 year old male, no NCD, held licence for 18months) on my mum's policy with direct line, paying £50/month and the renewal date is 26th May.

As we all know Direct Line don't let young drivers put alloys or any modifications on their car at all.

I've been searching around all morning looking for a decent quote, cheapest being Endsleigh for £1200 (incl student discount!) for TPFT.

This is a huge leap from the £600/year I'm paying just now so I've decided that what I'd like to do is stay on a policy with my mum but with a company that'll allow young drivers to drive a modified car. This way I think it'd remain more or less the same price or even cheaper for the insurance with her max NCD (which I'm currently benefitting from) and I can stay on that policy till even just next year when I'll have more money and perhaps find a better quote given that I'll be 19 (unlikely though).

Can anyone make any recommendations on how I should go about this, if it's even possible or anyone who's doing it at the moment?

I realise that getting my own policy is the best idea, but I've not got enough money to do that right now, what with holidays coming up etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
you will be comitting fraud if you will be the main driver of the car when you are a named occasional use driver.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the policy just now it's me who's listed as the main driver - but under my mum's name, and that was Direct Line who suggested that.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
wont you be better off just staying with direct line for a year (dont they give you a years no claims?) and not modding your car, until next year when you will have a years no claims, and hopefully a cheaper quote!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been with them for a 18 months now, and the thing is they won't let you mod your car till you're 25, and their no claims bonus for named drivers is only accepted by them, no other company will accept it. Or am I wrong in thinking that?

If I were able to use the years no claims with another company then that'd be perfect, I doubt I'm able to though.

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
phoenix05 said:
If I were able to use the years no claims with another company then that'd be perfect, I doubt I'm able to though.
if they give you a years no claims theres no reason why another company should take it - a years no claims is a years no claims

give them a ring and confirm thats what you get. but im almost postive (off watching their ads) that they do provide you with a proper years no claims bonus

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
17 Posts
phoenix05 said:
As we all know Direct Line don't let young drivers put alloys or any modifications on their car at all.
Never knew they were so strict in the UK about modifications on a car. Over here (NL) you can put everything on a car when you have the normal insurance even if you passed your drivingtest yesterday. Our insurancecompanies have strict policies on what kind of car they are accepting with a young driver, not with all the (optical) modifications.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's ridiculous how strict they are, and very unfair.

They should have boundaries, fair enough, but not a NO MODS policy hands-down.

I phoned direct-line and they said that the no-claims would only be valid with their company, none others, so I'm back to square one.

I'd be happy to pay (well, not HAPPY, but you know what I mean) the £1200 in a couple of months time, but my renewal date is the 26th of this month, and it's just going to be far too much for me at the moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions, companies that are renowned to be cheap in this situation, or any further insight to me going on as a main driver for a policy of my mum's with another company that allows mods?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

It may be worth ringing some other companies and see if they will accept Direct Lines NCD as DL have got no reason to really find out if they will.

Try quinn direct they do give discount for named drivers ncd.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
No claims discount does not go to the main driver, but the policy holder.

Therefore next to no-one will accept any no claims in your name against the current policy for someone under 25. They tend to make exceptions for spouces, but not children.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dime bar said:
It may be worth ringing some other companies and see if they will accept Direct Lines NCD as DL have got no reason to really find out if they will.

Try quinn direct they do give discount for named drivers ncd.
Thanks, I'll give that a go.

And Stu it must be just a direct line thing then as the reason our policy is so cheap is because my mum was allowed to use her NCD on a second policy as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts