MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Car Gone :-(

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Crevice 
#1 ·
Here's a copy of the topic I put on themgzr, thought I'd share with everyone:-

Last night had a really bad accident. Car got smashed up. Was driving home from a place called Drymen and came to a bend where an approaching car went to cut across the road for a turning, had to swerve to avoid it and brake...wheels locked, spun out of control and car rolled up onto the bank and the side, completely written off and my girlfriend and I were so lucky to get out alive.

Other driver just disappeared as well although every single passer-by stopped to make sure we were ok.

Spent a couple of hours in the hospital but nothing too serious.

Car was recovered to some place and I went in today and was told the fee was £440! I couldn't believe it and I told the guy well I want all my stuff out of it then, he said I could have my seats, backbox and rear lights off it and if I sign it over to him would be £250 cash.

I'm only covered third party which meant I had to foot the bill myself.

Luckily he was away most of the day and me, my dad and even this guys workers helped me take EVERYTHING off the car (from speakers to wheels to parcel shelf), all I left him with was the tinted windows (gutted
) and the shell with an engine (I still have the keys though) - even got the plates off it

Means I've now got everything I ever done to the car sitting at home, so basically I still have *my car*

Wanting to get back on the road asap, getting insured on my dads car while I look about, no point keeping away from driving as it'll only get worse thinking about it.

Here's some pictures of it the way I found it today

I'm going to the dvla office tomorrow to put my plate on retention, and it's going to be fully comp from now on. Back's in a bit of pain just now but really could've been a lot worse!

As for the next car, really loved this one, but wouldn't want to get another Rover 25. Been vaguely thinking about an MG ZR or ZS, not put much thought into it yet though as you can imagine.

See less See more
#3 ·
ouch! glad your ok!

its criminal how they take your car and then make you pay to get it back after a crash.
Rover king - tyre's been ripped of the rim. The impact could have bent the car or disabled the engine. Its also an offense to flea from a RTA i think?

Thats a nice turning circle on the pug! hahaha

#4 ·
Due to noone else being involved it wouldn't have been an offence to drive away. But the police had to come out as the car was sitting smashed in on it's roof. They had to arrange for a company to come clear it off the road as it was a hazard.

Thankfully I now have everything, alloys, spoiler, lights, wheels, seats, cd player, speakers, armrest, all the other things. Just feel as though I've gone through enough trauma to have had to go and argue to get my things back AND to pay for them (would have been really upset if I had only walked away with my seats, backbox and lights).

When it comes down to it, it's only a bit of metal and myself and my girlfriend are safe and fine. Just a bit gutting though as you can imagine. Really grateful to the car though as it held up to a hell of a lot and saved our lives. Couldn't bare to think about if I was in a punto or something like that.

Wanting to get back on the road asap so looking at ZR or ZS just now (not sure if wheels or exhaust would fit ZS though) - in the meantime getting insured on my dads 75.

Thanks for the comments :)

oh and bristol, surprised you noticed the wheel off the tyre and the wheel on the pug lol

#7 ·
No point in me thinking 'what if' I had fully comp, at least now I know it's not worth anything! Inside of the car remained perfect for some reason, other than the seat belt almost ripping out of the driver's side.

I've got quite bad back pains and my girlfriend has a fair bit of bruising on her back and a couple of lumps on her head. Her neck's quite sore but that's to be expected after something like this.

#11 ·
Am sure I have read that these days theres not a great deal price wise in the premiums for 3rd party Vs Fully Comp - not experienced it for myself though.

Just thinking about what you paid the bloke for the car and what you have left him - has he in effect bought the car? If so you may have trouble over keeping your plate - he may try and argue that he bought it off you.
Really? I never thought about this? He said it was being scrapped and all I was to do was go into the dvla and put it on retention. As I couldn't transfer it because there would be no car for it to be transferred from anymore?

I'm going in about an hour, very worried about this now :(

All I left him with was the shell and the engine.

#13 ·
Am sure I have read that these days theres not a great deal price wise in the premiums for 3rd party Vs Fully Comp - not experienced it for myself though.

Just thinking about what you paid the bloke for the car and what you have left him - has he in effect bought the car? If so you may have trouble over keeping your plate - he may try and argue that he bought it off you.
Depends what your insuring these days. I was quoted £890 fully comp for my 220SLI it's a 93 reg 5 door so not the turbo model but still rapid and insuarnce group 12. I was then quoted £350 for Third Party/Fire and Theft with breakdown included. The car only cost me £200 so nothing to lose by doing it 3rd party.

#14 ·
Yes the police can call anyone to collect your car. Certain accident compensation groups will pay that charge for collection from a third party but where as there isnt one in these circumstances you do have to pay. I had to pay £600 quid because of my compensation company going round the houses.

Glad to hear your both okay! I had a crash not too long ago pics are here:

But yours make me feel lucky!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.