MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at a used 45 for my mum from a local independant dealer, who won't sell the car without a warranty. Car was £4995, made a few enquiries and he said he would do it for £4700 and include a £250 warranty in the price.
I've phoned up today and spoken to the 'dad' of the family business(!), proper pushy salesman. Offered a bit less for the car without warranty and he said no - they're not legally allowed to sell a car without a warranty as of Jan this yeah... eh what gives? is this the case?

G

·
I think they have to give 30days by law but thats all. 30days doens't cost £250. Why not call your local trading standards to check

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Meza said:
I've been looking at a used 45 for my mum from a local independant dealer, who won't sell the car without a warranty. Car was £4995, made a few enquiries and he said he would do it for £4700 and include a £250 warranty in the price.
I've phoned up today and spoken to the 'dad' of the family business(!), proper pushy salesman. Offered a bit less for the car without warranty and he said no - they're not legally allowed to sell a car without a warranty as of Jan this yeah... eh what gives? is this the case?
Was it like a main dealer? Did they have the facility to do the warrenty work themselves??

I know a lot of places provide warrenties but they get a 3rd party to do it? Maybe it was something like this and they don't want to have to deal with 3rd parties??

G

·
It's true - all dealers have to warrant a car. Most will use aftermarket providers rather than take the risk upon themselves.

Most aftermarket warrnaties are not worth the paper they're written on.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh ok I getya.

It's a Rover 45 2002 51 reg, 37k, 1.6i impression with air con. Is £4600 a fair price?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The law now states that dealers are responsible for any fault that develops within six months, regardless of a vehicles age or condition.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
MLC said:
The law now states that dealers are responsible for any fault that develops within six months, regardless of a vehicles age or condition.
The law sucks royal dick(IMO)......imagine being a motor dealer and having to warrant every single vehicle like that.....crazy. Responsible for ANY fault? Hmmmmm

Would be nice if the same applied to many other 'consumable' items too!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
the way i see it this coupd put the more 'budget' garages out fo business, the ones that sell cars aimed at ppl just passed test at about the 1k mark as with the age of the cars things do go wrong and the warantee would hold them responsible if i understand correctly??

·
Registered
mg_zr
8,240 Posts
Retail cars need warrenties...

If you notice any Vauxhall dealers sell "Trade and Save" for all vehicles under £2500...

Every car under this price comes officially as "spares or repair", and MUST be delivered to your home address, and park off the road. You cannot drive them away as they are not sold as road legal.

It gets them round the legislation nicely....

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
If the companies have to be responsible by law for the warranty, why is it sold as extra that you have to pay. It should be incorporated into the price.

Why not go the whole way and itemise every component of the car......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts