1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

my brother just got his brand new 07 company car,

its an Audi A3 2.0tdi in black with the sport pack too,

std is only 140bhp but we both went out tonight, both of us thinking my car would be far quicker and it wasnt at all!!!!!

it was basicaly the same! mine was a tiny bit quicker and i mean a tiny bit!

very gutted, my car feels rapid and is boosting properly too, going to change the headgasget and turbo and put it on a rolling road!

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,927 Posts
hi,

std is only 140bhp but we both went out tonight, both of us thinking my car would be far quicker and it wasnt at all!!!!!

very gutted, my car feels rapid and is boosting properly too, going to change the headgasget and turbo and put it on a rolling road!
Something wrong there .....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but what could it be? boost gauge says its boosting right,

my turbo whistles quite a bit, just had a new clutch and the gearbox doesnt make a noise either

i thought my car was running quite good too, just how i bought it any way.

ive checked boost hoses and they are tight and no leaks,

i serviced it 3 weeks ago and i changed everything including, leads, plugs, rotor arm and dizzy cap!

what else could i check before i do the headgasget as i think it has eaten a bit of water

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Diesels feel faster than they are due to the midrange torque. They run out of revs rapidly though which is where the petrol still wins. Perhaps you weren't making the best use of your cars power?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diesels feel faster than they are due to the midrange torque. They run out of revs rapidly though which is where the petrol still wins. Perhaps you weren't making the best use of your cars power?

No. trust me, im not bad at launching and was changing quick and at the right ammount of revs!

·
Registered
738 Posts
only 140 bhp but what torque does it produce?
power is only torque multiplied by rpm, diesels don't rev high ...

plus it's probably got the advantage of a nice new close ratio 6 speed box too i would imagine. i had a bmw 118d courtesy car and although it's not too powerful it certainly shifted!

i think 0-60 on the 2.0 TDi is about 9 seconds though so if you weren't far behind ... may be a tad slow ? hmm

tricky

·
Registered
812 Posts
The A3 2.0TDi 140 does 0-60 in 9.5s and has 236lbft of torque, 52 more than a standard 620ti. So it shouldn't beat you on launch (unless you wheelspin!) but should beat you in the midrange due to the torque, and then you would move ahead once you get to around 90-100mph and he starts to run out of revs.

You sure it's not the 170bhp version? The A3 2.0TDi 170 does 0-60 in 7.9s, and it has 258lbft of torque...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea just a simple drag race or 2 on our private track... with traffic lights on it.... hehe

went on the motorway too, mine was better on the motorway but i must admit it was pretty much neck and neck all the way!

oh and the reason the 0-60 times is 9.5 is because he has to change to 3rd. if he didnt it would be a damn sight quicker than 9.5

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi,

just ignore the bhp on diesels! remember the massive torque that these modern dervs kick out! a standard ti probably has no more than 200 lbs ft of torque ( correct me if thats wrong though) whereas your mates audi is probably making nearer 300 lbs ft of torque!! and torque is the force that actually makes your wheels turn! the first time i ever took my old supercharged vw corrado up the strip (212bhp @the wheels and 235lbs/ft torque) i got my arse kicked by a mk2 golf with a 1.9 tdi engine in it! the guy only had 150 bhp but nearly 350lbs/ft torque! hope that relieves the worry somewhat!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just ignore the bhp on diesels! remember the massive torque that these modern dervs kick out! a standard ti probably has no more than 200 lbs ft of torque ( correct me if thats wrong though) whereas your mates audi is probably making nearer 300 lbs ft of torque!! and torque is the force that actually makes your wheels turn! the first time i ever took my old supercharged vw corrado up the strip (212bhp @the wheels and 235lbs/ft torque) i got my arse kicked by a mk2 golf with a 1.9 tdi engine in it! the guy only had 150 bhp but nearly 350lbs/ft torque! hope that relieves the worry somewhat!
yea it does a bit, but im going to change and check a few bits n bobs and get it on the rolling road just to make sure. for what a power run costs its better peace of mind, i think the local one here is 50.00

·
Registered
738 Posts
well i wouldn't worry about it too much. just worry about how much less fuel he used during the drag race !

i think a dyno session would be the only be all and end all. maybe he was slightly quicker off the mark at the lights or something ??? there are more variables than just the cars engines and gearboxes!

·
Registered
738 Posts
weeeeell torque is more the rotational equivalent of a moment which is the description of a force and a distance combined. but the torque felt at the wheels is also amplified from the engine by the gearbox. both these factors should be considered.

i say dyno it to gain peace of mind. or test it against another ti ???

·
Registered
738 Posts
u live near me dont u?

wanna meet up this weekend for a little bit?
well if that was to perform any performance tests, id probably be near to useless to you. not fixed my actuator problem yet and so cant boot it as i'll over boost my car... and we don't want that. had a quick poke around and i think the bolt has just worked loose, and i hope that i will just be able to tighten it back up, presuming the thread hasn't stripped for some reason! anyway, im free on sunday BUT my ti is not fighting fit. its just getting me to and from work fit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, well ill have to check when im working,

maybe u could shed some light when u seee my car and see how its running?

ill give u a pm later on this week
cheers
jt

·
Registered
234 Posts
bhp

hi could be something to do with , a brand new car and a 13+ year old car , ya rover is probably down to 180 bhp over the years , even a week after the car left the forcourt ( new ) the bhp had decreased .
i love it when people say "200bhp" that was in tests when the car was new .
and then add on a possible de-cat , back box , induction ect and come up with mad bhp "230 + bhp" when it is probably just hitting back to 200bhp.
even with me t28 , induction , de-cat , exhaust and all the other bit's i'm maybe over 220bhp ,dunno.

just a thought

cheers
matt

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
hi could be something to do with , a brand new car and a 13+ year old car , ya rover is probably down to 180 bhp over the years , even a week after the car left the forcourt ( new ) the bhp had decreased .
i love it when people say "200bhp" that was in tests when the car was new .
and then add on a possible de-cat , back box , induction ect and come up with mad bhp "230 + bhp" when it is probably just hitting back to 200bhp.
even with me t28 , induction , de-cat , exhaust and all the other bit's i'm maybe over 220bhp ,dunno.

just a thought

cheers
matt
Think you,ve hit the nail on the head there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.