MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Car doesn't like cold starts...

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  djl403 
#1 ·
I've just bought a 96 216Si and everything seemed fine with it first day I got it, starting first time etc etc, but this morning, as its a little colder, when I started it up, it just died. I had to hold the gas down for a fair while to warm up the engine... whats do people think is the most likely cause of this?
Ta in advance

#2 ·
A change in the weather at this time of year shouldnt reflect your starting problems, maybe in extreme winter conditions though.

You havent had the car long? so have you done all the usual checking procedures, Sparkplugs, HT Leads, Distributor Cap, either may need cleaning or replacing, unless they have already been done. :spanner:

#3 ·
Nope, need to get a Haynes and go home to get a few tools first, just wondering what it could possibly be.

A bit more info first though:

After taking it out again - when the engine was totally cold, the gas pedal has to be pressed slightly at all times until the engine temp needle is about halfway (about 3mins of driving) but this is obviously pretty tricky unless you have a straight bit of road or three feet!
After its warm, its fine!
Was thinking maybe something to do with choke?! Not got much mechanical knowledge though as you may have guessed :)

#6 ·
When it's cold, unless the I press the gas, the rev counter will go up to 1000 then down to 0, making no effort to keep the engine alive.
When warm, the needle is just under 1000, so yea, about 850rpm.
Does that sound like a coolant temp sensor? If so, how much are they to buy, are they easy to fit etc etc and would it cost much to get it done at a garage, as I have limited tools etc with me.
Fankyoo!

#7 ·
When it's cold, unless the I press the gas, the rev counter will go up to 1000 then down to 0, making no effort to keep the engine alive.
When warm, the needle is just under 1000, so yea, about 850rpm.
Does that sound like a coolant temp sensor? If so, how much are they to buy, are they easy to fit etc etc and would it cost much to get it done at a garage, as I have limited tools etc with me.
Fankyoo!
I would personally say that this sounds like the problem as the sensor is not picking up the correct information and thus confusing the ecu so it doesn't know what speed to keep the revs at. I've not changed one myself but it looks pretty easy from the Haynes manual, don't think it is too expensive. Get the part and fit it yourself, you'll feel better for it. If this isn't the problem then it's one less thing out of the equation.

To find where it is, open bonnet and look down at the top radiator hose. Follow it from the radiator to the elbow where it heads towards the engine. On the elbow you will see a brown connector (I think from memory), this is where the sensor is. You unplug the wiring then unbolt the sensor from the elbow, catching any coolant as you remove it. Reffiting is the reverse but using some loctite around the threads. Top up coolant and reconnect the electrical plug.

Someone here must have replaced theirs as i think it's quite common so someone should know a part number and price etc.

Hope this helps

#11 ·
#12 ·
Hello again !
Just an update and a bit of help required...
I purchased the new part (Coolant temp sensor) and attempted to fit it. Unsclipped (had a metal clip over the wiring) screwed the old one out and then put the new one in and screwed it in - minimal (40ml) fluid lost. Feeling pretty pleased with myself, i tried to clip the wire back on, but had no luck!

tried to clip it on both ways round but it just didn't click into place. Tested the old one with the wire and that clicked into place fine, so put the old sensor back on to test again. However, this time, it too didn't click in properly.

Started the car up and it had the same old problem (needed gas) but this time, once warmed up, the revs stayed at 1200 whereas they were previoulsy around 1000

Why wont it clip in properly? Any advice welcome,
Ta

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.