MG-Rover.org Forums banner
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

· Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
6,184 Posts
Daily Telegraph 19 reg supplement 23/2/19:

The UK's favourite car colour in 2018 was grey, beating black, white and silver for the first time. Britain has always [sic] had a subdued taste in paint jobs - grey, black and white account for 59 per cent of newly registered cars...
I'm obviously off trend as I sold my xpg car last year. Got a blue one instead as I needed a definite colour this time, after 10 years of grey!

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
In 2020:
Colour% market share
1​
Grey24.4%
2​
Black19.9%
3​
White17.4%
4​
Blue16.9%
5​
Red9.0%
6​
Silver7.5%
7​
Orange1.3%
8​
Green0.9%
9​
Yellow0.4%
10​
Bronze0.1%

Grey still winning, Blue 2/3 more popular than red(!), Orange more popular than Green, itself twice as popular as yellow! Brown ("Bronze") nowhere.

"Interestingly, last year – during the pandemic – there was an increasing number of people buying more vibrant colours such as orange, yellow and green. However, even combined, these three colours only made up 2.6% of the new car market."
Source: Which colour used cars sell for the most money? | YesAuto

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
10yo thread now, why change the practice of a decade?

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Grey - Black- White - Blue - Red has been the order for several years now. The BRG on the MINIs is attractive.

I think you can now get MG3 only in Black/Bluey Silver/Blue...

...but ten years ago I couldn't have dreamt of the huge cars driving around like garden sheds with apparently just undercoat!

· Registered
'06 ZR +120 (HQM) '04 ZR 105 (IAB)
9,749 Posts
...but ten years ago I couldn't have dreamt of the huge cars driving around like garden sheds with apparently just undercoat!
I always regard them as cars for people who couldn't afford to have them painted properly.

Grey - an unimaginitive colour for unimaginitive people!

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Update: I've just been reading an article about the car paint development section of BASF and they expect green to be in in about three years, which is the time they take to develop a colour.

I note "green" is only 1% in that graphic and the only new green cars I have seen recently are turbo nutter Fords for people who think the orange ones are wimpy.

Apparently "green" has been seen as "deliberately environmentally-friendly" (e.g. for hybrids) recently but this is changing to "solid and dependable".

And not "turbo nutter".
To: Der Produktdevelopmentdirektor (Päinten), BASF, Ludwigshafen.

I hear you are sitting on vast quantities of green paint which no-one is buying now, three years later.

You chose...poorly.
So about ten years later, BASF still have too much green paint. It could be popular for EVs but not so many of those are actually being made in Germany!

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Yes, actual "colour" colours are only about ¼ of the total. Very simple to change for a fashion statement. In twenty years, you'd think this lack of colour would look as strange as the deep reds and sandy blues of the 60s do now!
Seemed imconceivable in 2013 that these boring colours could last any time.

Ten years later, black has become more dominant! Even MG3 which surely had a choice of six "colour" colours soon after launch, by 2015, and which surely came in at least five "colour" colours for the "colour the road" facelift relaunch in 2018, is down to just blue in 2023 (plus bluey silver and black).,

101 - 109 of 109 Posts