MG-Rover.org Forums banner
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
SMMT March 2016:
  • More than a fifth of cars registered in March 2016 were white, following the trend set in 2015, with neutral tones black and grey in second and third place.
  • Not all Britons are quite so keen to follow the trend, with some 3,300 new cars specified in orange, 2,000 in yellow and more than 1,000 buyers choosing pink.
  • White was the favourite paint in March for superminis and small family cars, with larger executive models and sports cars more likely to come in black.
10 facts about the new car market in March - SMMT

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Update: I've just been reading an article about the car paint development section of BASF and they expect green to be in in about three years, which is the time they take to develop a colour.

I note "green" is only 1% in that graphic and the only new green cars I have seen recently are turbo nutter Fords for people who think the orange ones are wimpy.

Apparently "green" has been seen as "deliberately environmentally-friendly" (e.g. for hybrids) recently but this is changing to "solid and dependable".

And not "turbo nutter".
To: Der Produktdevelopmentdirektor (Päinten), BASF, Ludwigshafen.

I hear you are sitting on vast quantities of green paint which no-one is buying now, three years later.

You chose...poorly.

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I was just reading through this thread again before returning to that prediction of FAIL by BASF because here is a new report by - BASF!

Because black and white are so dominant, they take "colour" colours separately - Red and Blue are foremost among those (new Jag XEs and F-Paces look good in these) - and they don't mention the orange that is used for all new small to mediun SUV ads! ;)

(Apparently BASF green paint is on special offer - buy one vat, get one vat free. Plus VAT). ;)

https://www.basf.com/documents/de/about-us/Sites/Wuerzburg/BASF European Color Report 2015 EN.pdf

· Registered
cityrover
6 Posts
I always wondered why silver became less and less popular. I don't like it myself, but I remember seeing plenty of them in the 90's and early 2000's - if it wasn't white or red, it was silver.

Everytime I see a new report or discussion (like Car colour | AA), it seems silver drops down even more. Some people tell me they don't like it because it looks unpainted.

Still, I think it doesn't look too bad on cars with a secondary colour to accent/distinguish the silver.

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Red on the march, blue waning, orange disappearing. Not only at MG? (Blue is still one of the two main "colour" colours...

https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/1093...-17-brown-blooming-red-hot-navy-the-new-black

We know that over the years the most popular new car colour choices have consistently been monochromatic, and that trend has continued in 2016.

According to our Best Price data, just over 75 per cent of respondents prefer white, grey, black and silver. That still means almost 25 per cent are willing to be a bit more adventurous, and there were a few surprises in the 2016 results.

Last year it was interesting to see 10 per cent of survey respondents would choose blue, with red not far behind at 9 per cent.

This trend flipped in 2016, with red officially the most popular colour and up 30 per cent on 2015. Blue is now trailing slightly behind, but still trending higher than the previous year.

Orange and yellow have gone from hot to not, both dropping significantly while green is so last year, down almost 60 per cent.

The colour brown is not always associated with a pleasant surprise, but in this case it is. Chocolate-inspired shades, though still only preferred by a small fraction of survey respondents, are up a massive 238 per cent.

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Analysis by the German SMMT comparing Jan-Nov 2017 with 2007. Headline approx "buyers prefer things grey"

Colours produced Jan-Nov 2017 (v year 2007)

White is definitely on the march but far more slowly there (see this headline lol). 20.8% (2.9%)

1. Grey/silver 28.5% (39.5%)

2. Black 25.6% (30.6%). 2004 46.4%!

3. White 20.8% (2.9%)!

So Grey/silver+Black+White: 74.9% (73%).

Proper colours:

Blue "over 10% for the first time since 2010": 1998 top with 24.9%, 2007 (15.1%), 2012 8.2%, its low point.

Red 6.7% (5.2%)

Brown 3%
Yellow 1.5%
Green 1.3%
Orange 0.7%
Purple 0.3%

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...arben-2017-unbunt-ist-der-favorit/&edit-text=

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
German sales 2017(per auto, motor + sport) Hardly adds much to the analysis to November except to confirm that December was not unusual.

Grey/silver (winner) + white + black 75%

Blue 11%

Red 7%

Brown 3%

Yellow 1.5%

Green 1.3%

Orange 0.7%

Purple 0.3%.

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Daily Telegraph 19 reg supplement 23/2/19:

The UK's favourite car colour in 2018 was grey, beating black, white and silver for the first time. Britain has always [sic] had a subdued taste in paint jobs - grey, black and white account for 59 per cent of newly registered cars.

At the other end of the scale, just 559 motorists ordered their new cars with cream paint. And while some 7,000 buyers chose yellow, this figure represents a 34 per cent drop compared with 2018 [sic - 2017].

20.9% Grey
20.2% Black
18.3% White
16.1% Blue (I think - it's high for Blue if so)
10% Red
9.3% Silver (I think)
1.1% Orange
0.9% Green
0.4% Brown
0.4% Buff(?), Tan(?)

81 - 100 of 109 Posts