MG-Rover.org Forums banner
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

· Registered
2,488 Posts
on the other hand when it isn't snowing they think you're a Police car!
Hehe - I used to drive a midnight blue Cortina and worked as a volunteer fireman (stoker) at a heritage railway.
Occasionally I didn't bother to take my greasetop cap off when driving home and it was amazing how many cars that had steamed up close behind me then dropped back to a more sensible distance upon seeing the cap ;)

· Registered
4,292 Posts
I've owned a couple of BRG cars, and I heard that green cars had the reputation of being unlucky in the motor trade. Anyone else heard that myth?
Not a myth, I think the stats said that green cars had more accidents than any other colour. Not sure if that was an urban myth stat, but people believed it and green cars did not sell. That was until the metallic BRG MG came out with.

· Registered
118 Posts
I've owned a couple of BRG cars, and I heard that green cars had the reputation of being unlucky in the motor trade. Anyone else heard that myth?
I've never heard of it but true or not BRG is my favorite colour on any car, love it.

It's a shame there isn't more range. In my yard at work I probably see 70% grey/silver, 20% black, 5% white and 5% colours. Shame there isn't more variety.

· Registered
MG ZT, Rover 25
6,184 Posts
I've never heard of it but true or not BRG is my favorite colour on any car, love it.

It's a shame there isn't more range. In my yard at work I probably see 70% grey/silver, 20% black, 5% white and 5% colours. Shame there isn't more variety.
Yeah I love the BRG too. Had a BRG MG-R of one type or another for years so just fancied a change this time around...

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
of course BRG goes right back to carrying green as a tribute to Ireland. In some areas there and in Scotland a green car is a statement of allegiance (and never drive one near Ibrox).

Many people would not have a green car just as they would not have their house painted green out of superstition.

Note that in the mid-90s green was the top car colour.

· Registered
10,219 Posts
of course BRG goes right back to carrying green as a tribute to Ireland. In some areas there and in Scotland a green car is a statement of allegiance (and never drive one near Ibrox).

Many people would not have a green car just as they would not have their house painted green out of superstition.

Note that in the mid-90s green was the top car colour.
BRG is dated and has fallen out of favour, but more vibrant lime greens seem popular on modern superminis nowadays.

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
BRG is dated and has fallen out of favour, but more vibrant lime greens seem popular on modern superminis nowadays.
As we all know, "dated" is a very subjective and fashion-driven (hence likely to become "dated" in no time) term. Fashion can turn upside down in a twinkling(!).
A classic green will never "date". I saw an attractive oak green 15 reg MINI convertible today.

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
AA: "top colour people want is blue"
The Top Car Colours 2015

(2013, 2011 scores in brackets)

Question: If you were given a free choice as regards the colour of your next car which of the following would you choose?

Blue 21% (23%, 23%)
Silver 19% (29%, 25%)
Black 18% (23%, 14%)
Red 14% (9%, 11%)
White 8% (4%, 4%)
Green 5% (6%, 7%)
Two colours i.e. white/black 3% (na)
Yellow 2% (1%,1%)
Beige 1% (1%, 1%)
Despite blue being the most popular choice overall, the actual percentage selecting blue fell, although silver was the biggest faller (29% in 2013 to 19% in 2015). Silver was most popular during the recession possibly as people wanted to feel prosperous by showing off a precious metal colour. The proportion selecting white and red also rose significantly in the last two years.
All I can say is that the ones who want blue don't get and a HUGE number of people must be made to drive white ones...

http://www.vcars.co.uk/news/aa-cars...p-car-colour-choice-for-aa-members-11415.html

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
German car club ADAC reviews 2014. Beware appalling autotranslate: "substance representative" = "fabric salesman"... ;)

Germany 2014:

1. Black 27.8%
2. Grey 27.2%
3. White 19.6%
4. Blue 8.7%
5. Red 6.0%
6. Brown 5.8% (apparently falling)
7. Other 5.0%

Smaller cars come in brighter colours but around 2/3 of cars sold in Germany are fleet cars.

Interestingly, out of 3,036,773 new registrations, yellow, orange, purple and green were the least popular. Volkswagen was in the top three of each (yellow 17k, orange 3k, purple 4k, green 4k) but the most-common purple marque was Nissan (5k) and green Opel (7k) (not Ford!).

It also mentions that a Volkswagen Golf is sold in 38 colours, a Mercedes C Class in 12 and a Fiat 500 in 13 - but the only colours which do not cost extra are grey (Golf), black or white (C class) or grey (500). [Certain(?)] other colours cost €300 (500), €1,356.50 (C class) and €2,210 (Golf)!

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...n/die-beliebtesten-autofarben.html&edit-text=

· Registered
mg_tf
715 Posts
Our Punto is white. When I bough the car I had a choice- white today, or any other colour was an extra £500 and a two week wait. Why? Fiat make their own life easier by 'encouraging' buyers to opt for one colour (with Alfa they make Black the no-cost option). They also build a kind of brand identity. People get used to seeing white Fiats.
I think manufacturers like the public to link their cars with a particular colour. Perhaps it helps with advertising and promotion?
What colour is a Ferrari? Red of course. Merc? Silver.
Barring the Punto, I've always bought second-hand. So colour was just part of the age/ price/ mileage equation. I've had everything- red, blue, white, yellow, Gold, but I've never bought a car I though t was Ugly. Some cars just suit some colours better than others. Had a couple of R600s- one Ultramarine and one midnight blue. Both gorgeous, but in White the car just looked wrong. (Sorry if you drive the last white R600 in Britain)

I like my TF in red, but think Yellow might just be the best colour for them. I found a TF on Ebay the other night which has been pastidipped in Orange and is just lovely. Others will no doubt disagree.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-TF-135...ar-full-MOT-/262009376531?hash=item3d00f9cf13
I wasted half an hour the other evening on the Jag site configuring my 'new XE' (yes, sad). The colours are all very safe. Muted greys, blues, silvers.
Jag just don't want the public to see an orange or lurid green Jag, even if you'd like one. Doesn't fit the image they want to convey of themselves.

· Registered
5,264 Posts
Our Punto is white. When I bough the car I had a choice- white today, or any other colour was an extra £500 and a two week wait. Why? Fiat make their own life easier by 'encouraging' buyers to opt for one colour (with Alfa they make Black the no-cost option). They also build a kind of brand identity. People get used to seeing white Fiats.
I think manufacturers like the public to link their cars with a particular colour. Perhaps it helps with advertising and promotion?
What colour is a Ferrari? Red of course. Merc? Silver.
Barring the Punto, I've always bought second-hand. So colour was just part of the age/ price/ mileage equation. I've had everything- red, blue, white, yellow, Gold, but I've never bought a car I though t was Ugly. Some cars just suit some colours better than others. Had a couple of R600s- one Ultramarine and one midnight blue. Both gorgeous, but in White the car just looked wrong. (Sorry if you drive the last white R600 in Britain)

I like my TF in red, but think Yellow might just be the best colour for them. I found a TF on Ebay the other night which has been pastidipped in Orange and is just lovely. Others will no doubt disagree.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-TF-135...ar-full-MOT-/262009376531?hash=item3d00f9cf13
I wasted half an hour the other evening on the Jag site configuring my 'new XE' (yes, sad). The colours are all very safe. Muted greys, blues, silvers.
Jag just don't want the public to see an orange or lurid green Jag, even if you'd like one. Doesn't fit the image they want to convey of themselves.
The F-Type comes in orange ;) French Racing Blue was quite striking too.

· Registered
1,824 Posts
If you want to be able to sell it on when you've finished with it, silver is my tip.

My personal favourite ATM is dark grey metallic.

Don't buy anything in orange, I've made that mistake twice in my life but I'm much wiser now!

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I note that on the Smart (trendy city car) there are ten colours: two whites; silver; grey; black: and five 'colour' colours - brown; red; blue; orange; and a colour called "Black to Yellow". So no green or purple - but brown, orange and yellow!

· Registered
36,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
What your car colour says about you | The AA Extraordinary Road Tales: - Telegraph

"Colour psychologist says 'take me to your car and I'll tell you who you are' "

UK 2014 sales:
1. White 22% "Obsessively clean" (?)
2. Black 19% - "I'm a gangsta" or "I'm a wannabe Mafia boss"
3. Grey. "Shy, withdrawing little mouse"(?) (Now explain grey Audis)
4. Blue. "Fun, sociable" - blue?
5. Red. "Look at me! Look at me!"

61 - 80 of 109 Posts