MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
36,380 Posts

(figures from paint manufacturer Standox Germany)

http://www.openpr.de/news/686276/Autofarben-Trends-2012-Weiss-ist-nicht-zu-stoppen.html

Looking at the cars loading on the Shuttle in both directions I came to these proportions:

Dark grey/black (mainly grey) 60%
White/silver 30%
Red 5%
Everything else (essentially "blue") 5%

Surprised to see black so high up - it's used as a colour for large SUVs and limousines, but not really for everyday cars.

Brown is up to 6% from about zero!

MG is offering bright, attractive colours as well as white, black, grey and silver. Wonder how well they are selling?

·
Registered
14,111 Posts

(figures from paint manufacturer Standox Germany)

http://www.openpr.de/news/686276/Autofarben-Trends-2012-Weiss-ist-nicht-zu-stoppen.html

Looking at the cars loading on the Shuttle in both directions I came to these proportions:

Dark grey/black (mainly grey) 60%
White/silver 30%
Red 5%
Everything else (essentially "blue") 5%

Surprised to see black so high up - it's used as a colour for large SUVs and limousines, but not really for everyday cars.

Brown is up to 6% from about zero!

MG is offering bright, attractive colours as well as white, black, grey and silver. Wonder how well they are selling?
Give it 5 years and you won't be able to sell a white car. Stick with black and silver and you can't go far wrong.

·
Registered
36,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Give it 5 years and you won't be able to sell a white car. Stick with black and silver and you can't go far wrong.
I remember red was THE colour at the end of the 80s, then green. However, there is so much dark grey today that there will be safety in numbers.

White has come from nowhere, blue tried, now brown (?) is on the march. :dunno:

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
The most depressing thing is that "Grey" is in third place.
Whats wrong with grey? Xpower grey Mgrover cars are probably the ones that look the best still.

I wouldnt blame anyone for buying yellow, or magenta. But if you want timeless, cool and simple then you can't beat black, silver or grey.

·
Registered
36,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, actual "colour" colours are only about ¼ of the total. Very simple to change for a fashion statement. In twenty years, you'd think this lack of colour would look as strange as the deep reds and sandy blues of the 60s do now!

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Not a fan of white cars - on the wrong car it looks too much like a domestic appliance! Currently own grey and red, with green and red being my most owned colours. Did have white, once...

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
Quite agree with that sentiment - grey, black and silver always seem to me to be 'colourless' colours - safe, inoffensive and timeless, yes; but ultimately dull and boring, unexciting and just suggest a colourless character behind the wheel (sorry if that upsets those with such coloured cars, but that's the way I see it :err:).

White, although it appears another non-colour, does stand out in a crowd and in some ways is more of a colour than reds and blues.

·
Registered
36,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In Germany earlier this week, I saw the first new brown cars I think I've seen since the Allegro and the Mk1 Astra - a B*W 118 and a Dacia(!)

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
193 Posts
Silver is just marketing speak for light grey and grey is just the dullest colour in the world. OK if you want to make your battleship inconspicuous to the enemy but far too drab for a car. I am delighted white is back as this was the colour of my first car, a 1957 Ford Zephyr.

·
Registered
mg_tf
8,321 Posts
Never really been a fan of white cars. A few look good and a more can be made to look good with subtle (or not so subtle) graphics, but for the most part it's worse than grey.

White says to me that the car has pretensions to be different from the primer brigade, but didnt have the courage of their convictions to choose an actual colour and defaulted to white.

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,311 Posts
Quite agree with that sentiment - grey, black and silver always seem to me to be 'colourless' colours - safe, inoffensive and timeless, yes; but ultimately dull and boring, unexciting and just suggest a colourless character behind the wheel (sorry if that upsets those with such coloured cars, but that's the way I see it :err:).

White, although it appears another non-colour, does stand out in a crowd and in some ways is more of a colour than reds and blues.
I don't think it's anything to do with a colourless character, and more about residuals; neutral, boring coloured cars tend to sell better, so financially silver is a safer bet than red. As such, for people who don't care too much about colour (most people who view cars as tools) it's an easier choice.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Isn't white one of the cheapest colours you can have on a car?

Might explain why there are so many low spec white Audi's and so on.

·
Registered
2006 MG ZR +120 (HQM) 2004 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,163 Posts
I don't think it's anything to do with a colourless character, and more about residuals; neutral, boring coloured cars tend to sell better........
...to yet more colourless characters.

Yes it really is all about being dreary, unadventurous and boring.

·
Registered
36,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think it's anything to do with a colourless character, and more about residuals; neutral, boring coloured cars tend to sell better, so financially silver is a safer bet than red. As such, for people who don't care too much about colour (most people who view cars as tools) it's an easier choice.
this was true some years ago, certainly. It won't change quickly but a car you buy now to sell in four years' time could look very old-fashioned compared to the new fashion.

Ten years ago or so, because of residuals, the police began buying silver cars instead of white ones and covering them in stickers. Now, police cars are white again - white is often cheaper to buy than silver.

·
Registered
ROVER 25 and a ROVER CABRIOLET
35,762 Posts
I have noticed over the last several years they have snuck brown back in, Renault Espace and the 5 Series Beemer were the prime culprits, still looks gash.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts