MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading that Škoda are now "the manufacturer of happy people". Funny, I thought they made cars.

Volkswagen are advertising as "Das Auto" while SEAT use "Auto Emoción"...

Why don't they have these adverts in English, I wonder?

·
Registered
36,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:lol: Vorsprung durch bull****, as they say in marketing.
That used to be the only one - the Spitting Image sketch showing the Hitlers off to Poland in their tank with the voiceover ""Deutschland über alles" as we like to think in Germany" is nowhere on the Internet that I can find.

I don't feel good about doing a YouTube search for Deutschland über alles Hitler...it's worse to get results!

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Simple, really - the foreign slogan help to enforce the origins of the brand. You needn't know the exact translation as it's easy enough to figure what they mean.

·
Registered
36,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simple, really - the foreign slogan help to enforce the origins of the brand. You needn't know the exact translation as it's easy enough to figure what they mean.
and, in Britain and the US, imported = good.

I've just thought about "Créateur d'Automobiles". However, although I believe it's Renault, it is linked in my mind with the Citroën robots signing "Picassos"... :lol:

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I think that they think it's clever psycology.

I saw a Tesco petrol tanker today - written down the side in big friendly letters it said

Why pay more?

I thought that was quite clever/cunning. It sort of implies their petrol is the cheapest, but it's doesn't really say that, so they can't get 'done' for it if it isn't.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Sorry - off topic completely, I've just smiled at ZRSteve's status as 'Pascal Programmer' label again.

Back on topic - marketing companies have got a lot to answer for, but then so have we for 'falling for it' - If I had the funds, I'd be splashing out continuously on the newest version of all electronoic gadgets available!

Advertising in a foreign language? - Dunno - perceived as being 'exotic' perhaps?

·
Registered
mg_zt
134 Posts
I remember Ford's "Expect More" .... well i bought a Ford and did expect alot more then what i got, so looks like they were right!

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
I remember Ford's "Expect More" .... well i bought a Ford and did expect alot more then what i got, so looks like they were right!
Ford has had too many different slogans over the years. It doesn't help to give a clear idea of the brand's purpose or intentions. Their current slogan is 'Feel The Difference'. before which it was 'Designed For Living, Engineered To Last' In the early 90's it was 'Everything We Do Is Driven By You'. They are very inconsistent and change their slogan more often than they change their design language which IMO isn't a good move. This is the exact same problem that Rover had.
Other more aspirational brands have had their slogans for far longer - Honda's is 'The Power of Dreams', BMW's 'The Ultimate Driving Machine', Audi with 'Vorsprung Durch Technik' etc. Constantly changing your slogan detracts from a strong brand image as much as having a long-standing slogan can strengthen it.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,913 Posts
I was reading that Škoda are now "the manufacturer of happy people". Funny, I thought they made cars.

Volkswagen are advertising as "Das Auto" while SEAT use "Auto Emoción"...

Why don't they have these adverts in English, I wonder?
It's foreign ~ foreign is best geddit ~ hence no more Rovers or MGs.... the UK car consumers have been fed this con~trick mullarkey for decades now and worse still, most of them have consumed it avidly. Hence no more Rovers and MGs.

There are and have been a few exceptions to the concept that foreign is better or best.

OFFICIAL: Apparently Brits now suffer from a severe 'also ran' complex and even worse, lack of confidence is on a sharp increase. Heard it on the Anti-British Broadcasting Corporation Radio 5Live this very morn so must be kosher ... Stands to reason. Foreign really is best. Buy a BMW or Mercedes-Benz ... become a better also ran...

:rofl:

Hands up all those who do not see one sliver of reality in the above observations.... hmmmm that many ...:(

...Evening all..;)

·
Registered
36,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...the Anti-British Broadcasting Corporation Radio ....
:lol:

Was given an online questionnaire to fill in by BBC 6 Music - to the question "in which country are you now" the answers "Britain, Great Britain or United Kingdom" were not valid! :eek:

The BBC news headlines are already largely a mixture of US news and PC claptrap.

It's only a matter of time before the BBC rebrands this country as "a culturally diverse place where you can drink warm beer. Other drinks are available!" :lol:

·
Registered
588 Posts
and, in Britain and the US, imported = good.

I've just thought about "Créateur d'Automobiles". However, although I believe it's Renault, it is linked in my mind with the Citroën robots signing "Picassos"... :lol:
I thought Renault had the slogan "Createur de Malheur"?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts