MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Today i tryed to take the wheels of my Rover 416Si from 1995,i removed the wheelnuts, but the wheels wont come of, eventhough i had used a little "Rust-Off"( I think thats the english word for it).
I have tried to pull the wheel to get i loose, didnt help, and also lowered the jack so the weight of the car might pop the wheel loose, that didnt helt either.

What can i do?
I need to get the wheels of, so i can meassure the brakes, and get some new orderet.

Best Regards
Morten

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
with all the nuts off it should just slide off! lowering the jack wont do anything, just give it a good tug from both sides.
if your not fitting the brakes yourself it would be easier to just find what parts you need first.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried to tug both up and down and sideways, but i dont help.
The reason i have to meassure the brakes, are that i need the size of them, when i am going to order some new brakes, so i can get them on as soon as possible, because my car slides to the right when i brake(40 procent less braking on the one side, and this is not legal to drive with in Denmark).

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
you have tried raising the wheel slightly? so that the holes on the wheels dont dig into threads on the cars wheels studs.
by all means the wheel should just slide off, theres nothing really holding it on apart from the 4 wheel nuts.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but the wheel i so stuck, that i can lower the jack all down, and the wheel still dont touch the threads, so it is really stuck.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
zeecue said:
Yes, but the wheel i so stuck, that i can lower the jack all down, and the wheel still dont touch the threads, so it is really stuck.
you have made sure wheel ist touching the floor when you remove it?? othewise the cars weight will be keeping it in place.

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
one way or another you will just have to yank it off!!! maybe a hammer on the other side! never had this problem myself.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dac said:
you have made sure wheel ist touching the floor when you remove it?? othewise the cars weight will be keeping it in place.
Yes, there was about 6 Inches(15Cm) from the wheel to the ground.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
It's quite common for wheels to stick to the hubs. If they have been there a while it can be tricky to get them off.

Get a piece of 4x4 behind the wheel then give it a good few whacks with a lump hammer, that should free them. Just make sure the car is secure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ashy said:
It's quite common for wheels to stick to the hubs. If they have been there a while it can be tricky to get them off.

Get a piece of 4x4 behind the wheel then give it a good few whacks with a lump hammer, that should free them. Just make sure the car is secure.
I will try this later, if i can get it behind the wheel.
By the way, is 17inch wheels the biggest you can fit the 416?
Here are the wheels i am going to order after the summer.
http://bigwheels.dk/images/temp/100422B.jpg

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
I find this especially common with alloy wheels. I now keep a rawhide-faced mallet in the boot especially for the purpose. With the car jacked up and firmly supported and the wheel off the ground a few good whacks on the inside face of the wheel at diagonally opposite points has never failed me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts