MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

Was wiring up my fogs and took out the stero when taking out the centre console...

Now back in....the front speakers dont work!

I cant see whats wrong...it all seems wired up the way it was...(I used a photo reference to make sure I didnt do this!)

And the rear speakers (through an amp in the back) work fine.

Its only the fronts that dont.

Ive tried fiddling with all the settings on the amp but they just dont seem to wanna work!

Help?

Heres a photo of the back of my head unit in case Ive done something obviously wrong.

Cheers

Oli

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
cant see the pic oli.

its not a balance problem on the head unit is it? wrongly adjusted to put all the volume to the back of the car?

just a thought!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah! The fader is in the middle....and when faded to the front you cant hear anything!

Indicating theyre duff I suppose! lol.

Whats wrong with the pic?

Cheers

Oli

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
have you checked the speakers themselves? make sure there connected up properly? no broken wires or anything?

short of the head unit not being wired in correctly i cant think! unless one of the wires has come out of the yellow or grey block that plugs into the head unit! i know they can work loose could be that!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
recarouk said:
have you checked the speakers themselves? make sure there connected up properly? no broken wires or anything?

short of the head unit not being wired in correctly i cant think! unless one of the wires has come out of the yellow or grey block that plugs into the head unit! i know they can work loose could be that!
Ah Cheers!

Yeh the speakers were working fine before I took out the head unit so I cant imagine it being any wiring going to them.

Ill just go check the loom for the wire that goes into that for the front speakers.

Do you know which colour it is for the fronts?

Cheers

Oli

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
erm havent a clue to be honest mate, is the head unit connected up using the standard blocks from the car? or have they been cut off and the wires spliced to the head unit?

·
Registered
20,060 Posts
if its easy enough to take your head unit out i would do and just carefully pull each wire thats connected to the block to make sure there not loose!

failing that i havent got any other ideas!

i know when i got my 200 it had the blocks cut out so i got some from a scrappys and re-connecting them using terminal blocks to hold the wires and my speakers wouldnt work it was because one of the wires had come loose!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
This is very strange. As has been said, if the problem isnt at the multiplug, I think its gonna be a sod to find.

I mean, if one front speaker wasnt working, that would be easier to work out, but both not working suggest a common cause.

The only two things I can think of are bad connection at that multiplug, or a stereo fault.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeh my head unit is pretty nackered...

Not playing cds now either....as of today. Also....the facia fell off today whilst driving as one of the clips broke.

Time for a new head unit I think.

When I get the new one in (plan on getting the new Sony Xplod one...supposed to be amazing - mp3, a-trac and ipod enabled).....and test it out.......I hope I wont be back on here asking for more advice about those front speakers.

Cheers guys

Oli

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The general advice by audio freaks is to avoid sony Xplod stuff.
Plenty of good MP3 CD players out there to choose from though

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im getting it stupidly cheap....I wouldnt usually go for Sony...

But I can get one new for about 70 quid....and they retail for about 220....

So I cant complain...

Plus.....70 quid doesnt usually get you much head-unit wise these days...

Oli

1 - 15 of 15 Posts