MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
could remap any car really with the correct tools.

Id imagine you can as the 'Stang is a big tuner car in the states.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It has been discussed a few times on 260's but on the basis that I don't think anyone has done it probably answers the question.
I think that car has been remapped rather than "chipped"

·
Registered
746 Posts
The best route for MG ZT 260 tuning is Accufab throttle body, which gives about an extra 30PS, one guy has hi lift cams, lightened and balanced etc, or the ultimate is a blower-knocking it up to around 400PS....Awesome :)!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do plan on owning one of these at some point but I know next to nothing other than fitting a supercharger when it comes to V8 tuning... and that ain't cheap!

So knowing there are other options that could get one into the 300bhp range is good to hear :)

·
Administrator
31,560 Posts
Accufab, X-Powers and a modified air-intake gave me 275BHP and 440Nm at Janspeed during the RR-day with the two-sixties.
Sounds around about what I got from my old 260 with similar setup.

There really isn't any cheap way to getting more HP than that, otherwise its cams and that is *really* expensive. IIRC, its an engine out job as you can't get the one cam off with the engine insitu.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Always nice when the OP comes back to say he/she appreciates the answers :_poke:
I do plan on owning one of these at some point but I know next to nothing other than fitting a supercharger when it comes to V8 tuning... and that ain't cheap!

So knowing there are other options that could get one into the 300bhp range is good to hear :)
I did...
Reading is a wonderful thing to do.

·
Registered
mg_zt_260
167 Posts
I did...
Reading is a wonderful thing to do.
Yes I did, but actaully meant after post#4 when people that own the 260 actually give numbers that have been measured on a RR

In summary, yes you can remap the ECU but normally a N/A car will see little gain, 10% at best. With Accufab 75 mm throttle body and plenum, different exhausts and modified air intake you'll see roughly 25 BHP and 440Nm without the risk of screwing the map up.

The V8 already has a map developed by Roush so is different from the original donor the Mustang GT. (Hence why things like Predator or J3-port units are not recommended)

Going the route with cams, heads, intake etc you'll be better saving a bit more and get a S/C fitted at Dreadnought, Callander

·
Registered
mg_zt_260
167 Posts
How do Americans get so little power from such big engines?
By not pushing it to the limit and make sure they run for 300k miles without expensive issues.
Unlike high revving 2 liter turbo imprezas or evos

Power is not the main thing, it's the torque :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
EVO's are not high revers. They are great cars. Any engine can rev high - just need lightening and balancing. Highest revver I owned was a V6 MG with 420 bhp and that was to 10,000

Accufab - isn't the best route then judging from this thread.

Anyone done new headers and exhaust.

·
Registered
mg_zt_260
167 Posts
EVO's are not high revers. They are great cars. Any engine can rev high - just need lightening and balancing. Highest revver I owned was a V6 MG with 420 bhp and that was to 10,000

Accufab - isn't the best route then judging from this thread.

Anyone done new headers and exhaust.
Mr. Jerry :)

Anything that goes to 7000rmp and needs 4000 for max torque is high rev in my opinion :)

But Accufab is not a bad upgrade, relatively cheap, frees up a few BHP and the engine revs more freely through the range. Combined with X-Power exhaust good for roughly +20BHP (Have RR print-out to prove)

Headers are a bit limited as it's difficult to fit Mustang aftermarket ones due to space restriction. x-pipe or h-pipe also difficult.

260 already has high-flow cats

·
Registered
298 Posts
I know next to nothing other than fitting a supercharger when it comes to V8 tuning... and that ain't cheap!
All you need to know really, I spent years surfing Mustang websites reading about new heads, high lift cams, air intakes etc, but to get anything out of them, the bottom end needs to be rebuilt to accommodate the higher revs these things like(need) and when all things are considered it is way more expensive to go down this route.

Supercharging is the most cost effective route.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts