MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Looking good....fitting wasn't to bad I assume
Thanks mate. Yeah, fitting was pretty much a doddle. I think I spent most of the couple of hours I spent on just checking and rechecking the positioning. Once I was happy with what I thought was the best 'factory fit' I could get, it took minutes to drill the holes starting off with a small diameter drill bit moving up to the correct size for the threads to comfortably slot into. Actually, then spent a bit more time in priming and painting the freshly drilled holes and drying off with a hot air gun prior to fitting. A quick squirt of silicone at the base of each thread to ensure waterproofing on the boot lid exterior, another quick squirt of the same on the underside prior to tightening up the nuts and job done.

I will endeavour to take some of my measurements (with photos) to show what I did - most of which were using Incony's measurements as best as I could make out - mainly the picture 2nd to last he posted showing distance from the centre of the spoiler to the edge of the boot lid nearest the rear window proved the most useful. I took that measurement as being 468mm. With that measurement, the rest was just centralising the spoiler and ensuring that both ends were equidistant from each corner of the boot lid/chrome escutcheon.

I had offered the spoiler up to the boot lid to 'eyeball' where the holes should go roughly (without actually seating the spoiler on the paint) and then masked off an area large enough to move the spoiler around a bit when sat on the paint without damaging it.

Once I was happy that everything was equal, it was just a case of marking the drill points and actually doing it.

Pretty easy, really, and I am very pleased with the results. :grin:

·
Registered
classic_mg
92 Posts
I have a Trophy and have noticed that it has extra brackets inside the lid where the spoiler bolts.

Is these any likelihood that fitting a spoiler to a standard lid will cause deformation?

21 - 24 of 24 Posts