MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, I've recently acquired a used genuine Trophy spoiler which is in very good condition. I will need it respraying anyway to match my Tahiti Blue MGF (spoiler is in silver currently) so I am now turning my thoughts to fitting it correctly.

I could, I suppose, just fit it by eye....however, I want it to be in the exact correct position if possible.

I was wondering if anyone with a factory fitted spoiler could provide me with some measurements to assist in hole drilling. I think the measurements I would need are as follows:

1. Distance from the rear edge of the boot lid (nearest the rear window) to the front edge of the two main support legs.

2. Distance from the side edges of the boot lid again to the outer side of each main support legs.

If someone could provide those (in mm) I then think I could make up a template for drilling with those measurements and some home made paper templates of the main support legs.

Thanks in advance,
Ste.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have a Trophy rear spoiler fitted, but no idea who fitted it and if it is the right position.

I can pop out to the garage and take the measurements you want though.

Reactions: steviejones133

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
All done.

The measurements you asked for are: 425 and 215 mm on my car.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
mgf
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ian - that's well above and beyond the call of duty, very much appreciated and thanks for making the effort to help out, you're a star.

I guess it's not ultra-critical at the end of the day but I thought if I could somehow get a factory guide in terms of measurements, it'd be good practice. It'd be interesting to see if your measurements are similar to that of a factory fitted Trophy spoiler..........

·
Registered
mgf
3,588 Posts
i have an F "Freestyle" and 3 Trophy Blue F " Trophy". all with factory fitted spoilers. do you still need measurements? i can go out and take a pic and put measurements on it... since i can see if all 4 cars have the same measurements.. but if your using a TF, those might be different, since the boot lids are not the same.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
but if your using a TF, those might be different, since the boot lids are not the same.
Only only the rear most edge though, not where Stevie wants the dimensions from.

·
Registered
mgf
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have an F "Freestyle" and 3 Trophy Blue F " Trophy". all with factory fitted spoilers. do you still need measurements? i can go out and take a pic and put measurements on it... since i can see if all 4 cars have the same measurements.. but if your using a TF, those might be different, since the boot lids are not the same.
Only only the rear most edge though, not where Stevie wants the dimensions from.
Well, as I have an F, I'm not bothered about how it would sit on a TF :wink: - I know that they aren't a good fit for TF's due to the different shape of the lid and that the outer supports have to be either removed or butchered to enable a Trophy/Freestyle spoiler to seat properly.

Incony, yes mate - that would be great if you could provide me with some measurements from your car/s, that would be greatly appreciated. Even if they are similar to Ian's measurements, it would still help me out with correct "factory positioning" of the spoiler. The spoiler I bought was from a Freestyle, but I believe that they are the exact same spoiler as that of the Trophy.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
As the title suggests, I've recently acquired a used genuine Trophy spoiler which is in very good condition. I will need it respraying anyway to match my Tahiti Blue MGF (spoiler is in silver currently) so I am now turning my thoughts to fitting it correctly.

I could, I suppose, just fit it by eye....however, I want it to be in the exact correct position if possible.

I was wondering if anyone with a factory fitted spoiler could provide me with some measurements to assist in hole drilling. I think the measurements I would need are as follows:

1. Distance from the rear edge of the boot lid (nearest the rear window) to the front edge of the two main support legs.

2. Distance from the side edges of the boot lid again to the outer side of each main support legs.

If someone could provide those (in mm) I then think I could make up a template for drilling with those measurements and some home made paper templates of the main support legs.

Thanks in advance,
Ste.
You have a PM.

lancsman

·
Registered
mgf
3,588 Posts
i will take some measurements tomorrow ( sunday ) using a digital mm gauge and take pics of it and its readings in situ. i will post them here. not because its the gospel... but if it helps you be certain, then all well and good.

·
Registered
mgf
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, got my F back from the body shop Today after she went in for a slight rear bumper paint repair after being 'nudged' in a car park a little while back - had the spoiler resprayed at the same time from silver to Tahiti blue pearl and the chap has done a fantastic job of both bumper and spoiler and I'm very pleased. With a bit of luck, I'll get the spoiler fitted over the next few days (thanks for the measurements guys) and I'll post up some pics. Actually, I'll try and post a few 'before & after' spoiler pics before I fit it...........

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
2,073 Posts
Maybe an idea to makes some paper templates once you have the holes drilled to show position of where they are in relation to boot....like the ones you see for people fitting the wind breaks, you never know when someone else might want to fit one and if you've got some paper template pictures to show I'm sure they would be well appreciated :)

·
Registered
mgf
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe an idea to makes some paper templates once you have the holes drilled to show position of where they are in relation to boot....like the ones you see for people fitting the wind breaks, you never know when someone else might want to fit one and if you've got some paper template pictures to show I'm sure they would be well appreciated :)
Good idea - duly noted. I will come up with something that could help others out if required. I'll get my thinking head on before I fit it.....

·
Registered
mgf
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a couple of pics of my freshly painted Trophy spoiler and one of it beforehand when it was still attached to the donor car on eBay - actually, it was in fairly good condition in silver, a few scuffs and a few DIY touch ups here and there and plenty of swirling from over exuberant polishing.

Since getting it back from the body shop, I've made some new rubber feet for the supports and applied with double sided tape. Actually, the foam came from a 2mm thick plain black computer mouse pad, just ripped off the covering, cut to shape and Bob's you're uncle - not bad for an outlay of 50p!

Oh, I also noticed that in Incony's first pic, there is some kind of additional support under the lid where the bolts go through that my boot lid does not have - should I fabricate something or would it be ok just bolted up through the existing lid?

·
Registered
mgf
3,588 Posts
without a pic comparison i cant say.. but my advice is that everything that is there, on my bootlid, is there because it needs to be there.

ie we need a pic of the part that you dont have, that i do... :)

·
Registered
mgf
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
without a pic comparison i cant say.. but my advice is that everything that is there, on my bootlid, is there because it needs to be there.

ie we need a pic of the part that you dont have, that i do... :)
It's the "bracket" that I've highlighted in your picture below - my boot lid didn't have those but I've fitted it regardless. Actually, the bolts nearest the rear of the boot lid still go through the seam where your bracket is so it is secured through two layers of panel at those points. It seems rigid enough and there is no movement in the spoiler itself once I tightened it all up.

I'll post some pics in a bit of the finished product.

·
Registered
mgf
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, as promised here are some pics of the finished project - I'll just leaved a link to them in the 'pics of your F or TF' below to save posting them twice:

http://forums.mg-rover.org/8513378-post1076.html

Thanks to all who helped me out with my request for measurements. I had to change the standard long aerial to a shorter one (£4.00 from a local motor factors) as the spoiler was catching it when opening the boot - actually, reception has improved. Although I did not physically make a template, I can post up a guide of what I did (which was quite simple, really) that might assist others - I'll try and add in some photo's with measurements etc as soon as I get the chance.

Thanks again chaps!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts