MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers sharky,

i reckon, ball park figure, approx 10-15k possibly. but that is really a very rough guess.
i know they are a softer compound than most and also i have a very very aggressive driving style. i do get the rears to spin all the time. so maybe its understandable.

does anyone advise not gettting goodyears on the rear with proxes on the front??i fancy giving the f1's a try out.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
You'll prob get bags of oversteer and dodgy high speed handling for the first 1K miles or so but after that they should be fine. Didn't have any of that when I had mine fitted though, just luck of the draw I guess :D
You may also want to consider Bridgestone SO-2 or SO-3's, both highly recommended by Rob Bell & others.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
It will help as it means all 4 corners will be as slippery as each other, which is better than having the rears slipperier than the front or vice versa as it will equalise the over/understeer.
But obviously it would cost almost twice as much as just getting new rears.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
MG Deano said:
sharky, aid me with your wisdom!!!!!

can i fit 225/50/15 on my tf????

http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=tyreconverter.table7c&pId=1
I'm assuming you have the standard 205/50/R15's fitted. These have a diameter of 587mm. The Toyo site (and the norm) is not to exceed +2% or -3% of the standard trye size or you will have issues with speedo/odometer calibration. So using this rule, the biggest tyre you should fit shoudl be 599mm, and the smallest 569mm. 225/50/15's fall outside these sizes so I would not recommend fitting them, even though the Toyo site says its ok :scary:

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
MG Deano said:
cheers pete, i dont understand it, the profile height is the same, the wheel diameter is the same. all that is different is the width of the tyre. which for some reason makes the overall tyre diameter 20mm more. can anyone explain??
and is 3.4% to big an increase?
IIRC The height of the sidewall of a tyre is calculated as a percentage of the width.
So the as the width increases, so does the height of the sidewall, even though the profile is the same. Clear as mud :lol:

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
MG Deano said:
so is 3.4% too big a difference, what would ahving too big a tye do to my speedo? would it give too high a speed or too low??
IRCC it would cause it to under read as the circumferance of the tyre would be larger so to would have to rotate fewer times to travel the same distance as a smaller diameter tyre. IMO 3.4% Is too big a differance.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Why not go for 215/45's?
& why do you want 225's?
If you fit too wider rear the car will under steer like a dog (unless you fit wider front too, which would then cause tramlining :lol: ), not to mention an increase in aquaplaning in the wet.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Yep, 215/45's are 1.8% (or 11mm) smaller in diameter than 205/50's, so well within the recomended figure of -3% :D
Going smaller in diameter will also make your speedo over read slightly, which is safer than it under reading :)
Of course, if you got yourself a GPS unit you wouldn't need to rely on your speedo and could in theory fit any tyres you wanted..........................

1 - 20 of 24 Posts