MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rover 45 2l diesel turbo.(Y reg 2001) The acceleration is very slow. going up hill there is absolutely no increase, in fact it slows down even on moderate inclines. The only time it seems to be anywhere near normal is when I am on the motorway and have finally reached 70 mph. If anyone can give me any advice I would be most grateful

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
iandenne said:
I have a Rover 45 2l diesel turbo.(Y reg 2001) The acceleration is very slow. going up hill there is absolutely no increase, in fact it slows down even on moderate inclines. The only time it seems to be anywhere near normal is when I am on the motorway and have finally reached 70 mph. If anyone can give me any advice I would be most grateful
Your problem is......you've got a diesel!
I joke, I joke.
This forum just invites these diesel jokes, im sorry!
Can you feel the turbo kicking in?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iandenne said:
Sam yes eventually, at low speed and in low gear, turbo appears to kick in ok

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Samuel said:
Your problem is......you've got a diesel!
I joke, I joke.
This forum just invites these diesel jokes, im sorry!
No it doesn't. Hes asking for some help.

So when your pulling away, does it seem flat as if like driving a nasp diesel? Could be a problem with a hose (another thread on here, is having the same problem more or less) or could be a stuffed sensor.

I found out a problem with mine when i hit a hill, boost guage went to half, and nothing at all, had a dodgy sensor.

Does your managment light come on at all?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Stu C said:

So when your pulling away, does it seem flat as if like driving a nasp diesel? Could be a problem with a hose (another thread on here, is having the same problem more or less) or could be a stuffed sensor.

I found out a problem with mine when i hit a hill, boost guage went to half, and nothing at all, had a dodgy sensor.

My comments were very tongue-in-cheek, and i was attempting to see if it was turbo related.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stu C said:

Stu, it does seem a little flat when pulling away, but the turbo appears to cut in when it should. The revs seem to build slower as I go through the gears. What is the boost gauge? I don't think I have a management light

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Samuel said:
My comments were very tongue-in-cheek, and i was attempting to see if it was turbo related.
Samuel, the turbo seems to operate when it should, It seems to me, a mechanical ignoramus, that the revs seem to build very slowly not allowing the turbo to cut in. Does the turbo operate at a set amount of revs?

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
iandenne said:
Stu, it does seem a little flat when pulling away, but the turbo appears to cut in when it should. The revs seem to build slower as I go through the gears. What is the boost gauge? I don't think I have a management light
Ah right, hmm, sounds like the problem i had i could pull away, but when it got so far it would stop. I put a boost guage in to tell me what the turbos doing, as i increased the boost pressure.

Could be a crank shaft sensor problem or maf problem, all ecu based which in turn can effect pulling power.
You'll prob have a managment light, it just hasnt flashed up..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stu C said:
Ah right, hmm, sounds like the problem i had i could pull away, but when it got so far it would stop. I put a boost guage in to tell me what the turbos doing, as i increased the boost pressure.

Could be a crank shaft sensor problem or maf problem, all ecu based which in turn can effect pulling power.
You'll prob have a managment light, it just hasnt flashed up..
I'm a bit of a novice, what do you mean by maf and ecu

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
iandenne said:
I'm a bit of a novice, what do you mean by maf and ecu
's ok, maf is a sensor (mass air flow meter) that detects the amount of air coming in and determines the amount of recirculated exhaust gasses.

Ecu, engine control unit, the "brains" of the motor :) something which alot of these sensors send signals to to make sure it works alright.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stu C said:
's ok, maf is a sensor (mass air flow meter) that detects the amount of air coming in and determines the amount of recirculated exhaust gasses.

Ecu, engine control unit, the "brains" of the motor :) something which alot of these sensors send signals to to make sure it works alright.
Is the maf situated just after the air intake filter If it is I had a new one fitted about 8 months ago

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
iandenne said:
Is the maf situated just after the air intake filter If it is I had a new one fitted about 8 months ago
Yeah thats the one. Hmmm, i wouldnt have thought it was that one then :)

Hows the servicing generally, all in good stead? dont matter too much just wondering you know, maybe problems with fuel filter?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stu C said:
Yeah thats the one. Hmmm, i wouldnt have thought it was that one then :)

Hows the servicing generally, all in good stead? dont matter too much just wondering you know, maybe problems with fuel filter?
Stu. Serviced last week, it was almost due, just short of 70,000 miles. I was told my problem could possibly be a fuel filter so I had the service done. I have seen your reply on another thread suggesting that persons' problem could be a faulty hose could this be my problem?

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
iandenne said:
Stu. Serviced last week, it was almost due, just short of 70,000 miles. I was told my problem could possibly be a fuel filter so I had the service done. I have seen your reply on another thread suggesting that persons' problem could be a faulty hose could this be my problem?
Could very well possibly be, it only needs to be a hairline crack unfortunatly, as then the air will escape.
You give that a whirl, if you know some decent second hand hoses going try them maybe.

One of our Scanias at work had a similar problem as well, do fine at 56 then hit a hill and crawl forever :lol: That was dodgy hose as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stu C said:
Could very well possibly be, it only needs to be a hairline crack unfortunatly, as then the air will escape.
You give that a whirl, if you know some decent second hand hoses going try them maybe.

One of our Scanias at work had a similar problem as well, do fine at 56 then hit a hill and crawl forever :lol: That was dodgy hose as well.
How do I locate the hoses, Or am I better off taking it to my usual repairer?

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Being truthfully honest, without changing too many bits and spending much money etc... i think it would be best to take her to your usuall repairer.
I wouldnt imagine nothing too serious though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stu C said:
Being truthfully honest, without changing too many bits and spending much money etc... i think it would be best to take her to your usuall repairer.
I wouldnt imagine nothing too serious though.
Stu many thanks

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
depends if you can weild a screw driver in anger? its all you need to check the hoses :)

the 2 massive black rubber piper at the fron of the engine bay that lead to the rigt hand side of the engine bay as you look at it... .

youl know if one has gone as you get a slight hissing if you operate the throttle whilst standing in front of the engine bonnet up.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
iandenne said:
Yes that's the MAF.Just because it's not old it could still be duff.Even some brand new ones come out the box with wrong calibration.Unplug it and try the car,it prob wont rev much past 3500/4000 but if low rev performance is greatly improved then the MAF is out.You may get it replaced under warranty if fitted by dealer less than 12 months ago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fodenman said:
Yes that's the MAF.Just because it's not old it could still be duff.Even some brand new ones come out the box with wrong calibration.Unplug it and try the car,it prob wont rev much past 3500/4000 but if low rev performance is greatly improved then the MAF is out.You may get it replaced under warranty if fitted by dealer less than 12 months ago.
I've just unplugged the maf and given it a run, it seems to have done the trick. Is it safe to run without it plugged in? I work about 15 miles from home. Would it be ok to run it that far to give it a decent test?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts