MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i am new here
Been reading the forum for a while now, as it has tons of info.
I have a mg tf 135 and have been doing maintenance on it myself.
But last weekend i did the cambelt change on it and after that i had the tapping noise, prob. the lifters, but i am a bit worried as i found out that i put the camsprockets incorrect when timing up.
I set them inlet-exhaust-inlet- exhaust instead of exhaust-inlet-exhaust-inlet, should i do it over again or is it ok?

·
Registered
'10 TF135
367 Posts
StijnG, this is how my sprockets lined up when I did mine recently.
I think you can see 3 of the sprocket marks and all seems okay - I'm getting no tapping noise... _DSF3493.JPG

edit: Just a thought. Looking closely at a blow up of the pic mine are E - I - E - I from left to right. I don't know for sure if yours are 'wrong' but I personally would be irritated enough to do it again 'correctly' - especially if I was getting a new noise afterwards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah yours are the right way, mine is 180 deg off?
Just checkt timing again, sprockets also line up the other way arround, wil have a closer look again tomorrow.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
367 Posts
_DSF3483.JPG
...but is the crankshaft now out of position when you get the sprockets into your new position? I think it should be looking something like this when the top is (left->right) E-I-E-I?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No its not out position, crankshaft is on its save position and the camshaft sprockets line up, so i think is should be ok?
I just got the sprockets lined up in the opposite position: inlet-exhaust-inlet-exhaust when changing the belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the source of the tapping sound!
It was a broken spark plug :oops:
I put other plugs in and now it sounds great!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts