MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys is the cambelt change 60k or four years for definite on a tf, and what would you do if the cars has low milage for its year and age, im confuzzled about it, i have no mayo or coolant problems, so wasnt sure do i go for the milage or the number of years..... spankyou

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Always go on whichever comes first.

If it is the 4 years that comes first then change at 4 years.

If it is 60K then change at 60k.

Mayo and coolant have nothing to do with the cambelt(s). They are to do with Head Gasket failure.

However if you are having your cambelt(s) done, then the general consensous is to replace the water pump (and therefore the coolant) at the same time as the water pump is cambelt driven and if it goes, it can take the cambelt with it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry m8, the mayo comment was just to say its a pretty good little car, with no (cross finger) troubles and all that, its mainly the cambelt i was a little concerned with, dont want any troubles regarding my engine,
the cars has had major servicing every year, but has only done 16'00 miles on a 52, although that was the pre register date from the garage not the owner who brought it first off if that makes sense:)

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
where abouts in Telford are you bud? Ability tyres and motorcare seem to be pretty much on the ball for service and reliability, give them a call..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im from Dawley, your the first person ive seen who is even remotely near telford, i no your only here part time though, our local furrows is or was the mg dealer and still get al my parts etc, so didnt no if i should just take it there m8ty, what do you think stu ?

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
lildemon said:
im from Dawley, your the first person ive seen who is even remotely near telford, i no your only here part time though, our local furrows is or was the mg dealer and still get al my parts etc, so didnt no if i should just take it there m8ty, what do you think stu ?
Erm, Furrows should be able to help you bud, but im not so sure on the dealer prices as my car, it doesnt warrent going there for servicing etc..

Get a price from them though! you never know ;) then compare with places like Ability in ketley, van beeks in donnington.
Or more closer to you, priorslee motor services on the castle trading estate.

Not had to have much work done since moved to Telford like, but i hope thats a help anyway :)
Ill be getting my cambelt done in June/July time, as its way way way overdue, and GGS in hadley park road has quoted me £160 all in, cambelt and aux drive belt, and fuel pump belt fitted. (totally wrong car! but worth a mention)

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
lildemon said:
how much roughly will the cambelt cost supplied and fitted, any ideas:D

You willprobably be talking upwards of 300 pounds AT least. The belt itself costs hardly anything , its the labour involved. If you can find a garage with cheap labour then it wont be so bad.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to be fair chris the cambelt change on my astra coupe turbo was about £200 and they did that relatively quickly about three and a half hours from dropping it off to the call to say i could have it back, every car i choose costs me a fortune in some way or another lol, ive just got used to it now, but i cant see me ever buying a little toyota yaris or something like that to keep the costs down lol:bgrin2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts