MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 12 months ago, and less than 3000 miles fitted a new manual cambelt tensioner, see here and now getting a 8 to 10 second loud squeal on the first start up of the day, after that its quiet and runs perfect, can it have gone in such a short time, I didnt have it fitted too slack or too tight, Ive used some belt slip on alternator and pas belts, for when I next use the car as a sort of elimination test, any other ideas..

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
if its not the tensioner ..could be ..
Power stearing belt
Water pump bearings
Alternator bearings.
if its had the head was warped and skimmed you could have tight cam shafts.

To illiminate the clutch release bearing ..start up with clutch depressed .

all the best..mark

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
That squeal will most likely be your auxillary belt slipping. Loads do it. Just needs the tensioning bolt for the alternator tightening a bit.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies, think I will go for the belts first to eliminate, then take it from there, as I really cant see it being the tensioner in such a short time, well hope not anyway..:irked:

·
Registered
121 Posts
cam tensioner

had a similar problem after fitting cam belt,put the thin belt back on the alternator and the wide one on power steering pump.squeak everytime i started up ,unless i spray water or wd 40 towards the pump.had belts wrong way round.now they are correct,no more sqeaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts