MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cambelt snapped last night at 11pm, no one stopped to help as usual, anyway enough moaning, its a honda engined 1.6 coupe, as soon as it snapped i stopped, i was doing around 35mph. what am i looking at damage wise to the car and my bank acount. thanks all from a very unhappy J.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have a feeling that engine is a non interference engine so no damage.

But I could be wrong so wait for confirmation from someone that knows the Honda engine.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hope so, quick update... theres no water in my coolent bottle and i dont remember seeing it leaking out! any ideas?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Mr_Fish said:
i hope so, quick update... theres no water in my coolent bottle and i dont remember seeing it leaking out! any ideas?
Could be coincidental. Or possible that water pump is screwed and caused cam belt to snap. In which case two problems can be linked to one component.

·
Registered
rover_600
1,563 Posts
i think u have a 50/50 thing hear a friend i no went he went to buy another engine i said just fit a new one a c and it worked no problmes saved him £300 just for the price of cambelt so i would get this replaced 1st just to c if it will work

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all your replys, just as an extreme situation type thing how much would i be looking at for the DOHC engine swap as a performace/fix alternative?

·
Registered
500 Posts
i was sure that when the cambelt snaps that it bends the valves and can damage the pistons? sure it gives sum sort of damage to the engine neways, had a friend cost him £300 to get it sorted on a clio wen it happenbed, same price for a mate with a mondy. not 100% tho.

john

1 - 10 of 10 Posts